In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lemony Potato Salad

Rhubarb isn't the only thing growing out of control in our garden right now. We were so lucky to have a lovely perennial garden already planted for us when we moved into the house, but I will be honest, because I didn't plant the stuff, sometimes I forget that it is there. It is only when it gets to the point that it is over grown and screaming, "somebody harvest me already", that I say "oh yeah, we have chives in our garden". Last year I actually purchased some chives before I found these lovely ones. So, with this bumper crop I couldn't wait to make this potato salad that called for 1/2 cup. I love how light and fresh this salad tastes. The recipe is doubled for a party size serving. I made it for one last week and will be taking it again to a little 4th of July BBQ tonight. You can find the original recipe at Epicurious if you want to make it for a smaller group. Also, I somehow forgot to buy mayonnaise and made my own last week, I couldn't believe what a difference it made. I recommend giving it a try, it was way easier than I thought. Enjoy the day, I hope it is as beautiful wherever you are as it is here in Fairbanks.
Lemony Potato Salad
adapted from Gourmet Magazine
6 pounds small boiling potatoes
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely chopped chives
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
juice of one lemon
2 teaspoon sugar
Cover potatoes with water in a large pot and season well with salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, 12 to 20 minutes.

While potatoes cook, stir together celery, mayonnaise, chives, lemon zest and juice, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper in a large bowl.

Drain potatoes and cool completely, then halve or quarter. Add to dressing and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails