In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Begging for Meyer Lemon Scones

I know what you are thinking. More scones? Really? Can't we move on to danish, or croissants, maybe even cinnamon rolls? What is with you and scones? Well, I just can't help myself. Now that I am getting the hang of this I can't help but sharing them all with you. Everyone needs a simple lemon scone in their repertoire. Plus, I have another tip...these scones are actually better after they have been frozen overnight. They actually were lighter, more flakey and rose up just a little bit higher.
Enjoy the scone photos now, in two weeks this little guy will be joining our family and I promise you will be begging for more pictures of scones just to give your eyes a break from all this cuteness.
Meyer Lemon Scones
Makes 12 large scones

Scones:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large egg
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup grated meyer lemon zest

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp or a little more meyer lemon juice.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients. Add the butter using your fingers to rub the butter into large flakes and incorporate into the flour.

In a medium bowl whisk together the egg and milk with the lemon zest. Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly pour wet ingredients into the well. Using your hands, knead until all ingredients just come together.

Divide dough in half and turn one half onto a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough into a disc and cut into six wedge shaped pieces. Transfer wedges to baking sheet and repeat with other half of dough.

Freeze for later or bake on center rack of oven for 25 to 30 minutes until scones are golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and let sit while you prepare the glaze.

For glaze place powdered sugar in a small bowl (I use a measuring cup as the spout make it easy to pour the glaze. Slowly add lemon juice while whisking to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over tops of slightly cooled scones. Serve warm.

5 comments:

  1. That little guy is so cute! We'd both really like a dog, we have breeds and names and everything. But a little flat and not enough time for walking (at the moment) One day, one day...

    And I agree, you can never have too many scones. One day I shall have a Meyer lemon tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeek! What a sweet face. Love it! I'm sure you've discovered the little guy's virtually a full-time job. Lovely blog! Glad I stumbled across it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could get Meyer lemons here in Austria - everyone is always saying how great they are, it's a bit of a tease...
    Your scones look great; being a Kiwi, I like to think I know a bit about scones and the American ones all seem to be a bit flat looking but not yours - high and airy looking, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, he is cute...but I am learning that cute face = guilty face!! What did you eat now? Where did you pee? Is our dining room table still in one piece, and what about the couch cushions?

    Rebecca- I would love to have my very own lemon tree, but I would never leave my kitchen!

    Megan- Thanks for stopping by, I really enjoy your blog as well.

    Sasa- There is a lady in California that I order Meyer Lemons from, we don't have them in Fairbanks either. She might ship to Austria. The shipping would probably be outrageous though. I agree most places in the U.S. have no idea how to make a scone. It took a long time for me to find a good recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of meyer lemon juice and zest in my freezer right now. I'm really going to have to give these scones a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails