In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vin d’Orange

I'm not a big cocktail drinker. Yes, I enjoy a mojito or two when the mint is fresh in my garden during the summer. I have been known to be a fan of the Margarita with salt. Honestly, I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I can't drink one pint of beer on a weeknight without feeling a little groggy at work the next day. I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse. I know it has been both at one time or another.
Despite this fact I still enjoy having a little sip of something before dinner or sitting by the wood stove in the evening. Recently, I found myself with a few too many Seville Oranges and decided to give Vin d'Orange a try. The description was of a light summer drink, but I found with the addition of vanilla and cinnamon it makes a perfect winter warm up. Many recipes are easier than mine, they just call for cutting up the fruit, not zesting or juicing. They also need to sit a little longer. I found this was ready to go within two weeks. It did take a little extra straining, but it was worth the time. You can also make it with regular Naval Oranges, but you will need to adjust the sugar. The recipe is flexible, I recently saw another recipe that included dark rum. The Seville's I have left seem to be holding up pretty well in my cold storage. Maybe I'll make another batch.

Vin d’Orange
adapted from Ready for Dessert by David Lebovitz
1 750 ml. bottle rosé wine
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cinnamon stick
4 Seville oranges, zested and juiced
1 navel orange, zested and juiced
Tools: large glass jar with lid

Combine all ingredients in a large glass jar including citrus zest and juice, cover and let stand in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks shaking every few days. Strain through cheesecloth and funnel into clean glass bottles. I wanted mine to be exceptionally clear, so I also ran it through a coffee filter. Cork and refrigerate for up to one year.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I am so excited and I definitely will have to make some. Soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are stunning. I just broke down and bought oranges despite my best intentions of sticking with local fruit through winter. January is just too dismal. I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shepherdess-Thanks. I love looking at homemade liquors almost as much as I like drinking them! Let me know how it goes if you make some.

    Dani-When I lived in Washington State I tried to practice the 100 mile diet. Now that I live in Fairbanks I call it the 4,000 mile diet. I do order my fruit from small scale producers, and I figure with the lack of sunlight my mental health is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...the color alone is outstanding. I bet this sippy sip warmed you from the inside out! I'm gonna have to try this immediately

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent photos. I will try make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2nd try....This is absolutely georgous. I have some oranges that need used. Even picked up some wine today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks great. i made some bitters and some arancello last fall. but i love the idea of turning this into a cold weather winter drink. i'm gonna give it a shot! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic. I saved a few bottles of vodka that have lids like yours to make my own liquors but I've been looking for the right recipe.

    I grew up in Wasilla so it's also always fun to see Alaskan bloggers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where can I get those glass bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the bottles at Country Kitchen in Fairbanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails