In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ginger Syrup

Last year this time I was totally in love with Masala Chai. I was drinking it three times a day. I loved the fresh, spicy ginger flavor of the drink. I still drink it often, but the novelty has worn off and now it's only a few times a week. This year I have a new spicy, gingery love. It comes in the form of a cold beverage this time. I had always heard how much better homemade ginger ale was than the store bought stuff. I guess I never took much interest as I was never a huge fan of store bought ginger ale. Sure, if you have an upset stomach, a can of ginger ale is nice. I have always found that ginger ale comes in two forms; weak ginger flavor and very sweet, or totally overpowering ginger flavor. That is the beauty of making your own homemade ginger syrup. You decide how strong/sweet the flavor will be. The recipe below is just a starting point. If you like it more sweet, add more sugar. Super Spicy? More ginger.
The syrup can also be used for cocktails, hot tea, or even baked goods. I love the flavor of fresh ginger in baked goods and hope to try adapting a few recipes for ginger syrup soon.
Are you a fan of ginger ale? Do you like it super spicy, or are you into the classic Vernor's version? What are your favorite gingery cocktails?

Ginger Syrup
adapted from Imbibe Magazine

3 cups unpeeled, washed, fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
2 cups sugar
6 cups water

Process ginger chunks in a food processor until finely chopped. Place ginger in a large, at least 4 quart stock pot. Add sugar and water to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat and cook for 1 1/2 hours until a syrup is created. I ended  up with about 20 ounces of syrup (2 1/2 cups) once it was cooked down. Strain the syrup through a sieve into a large jar or bottle. I didn't mind it a little cloudy, but if you want a more clear syrup, you will want to strain it through cheesecloth or a jelly bag multiple times. Refrigerate. Use within 1 month.

5 comments:

  1. I love this---we're on the same simple syrup kick this week! My favorite gingery cocktail is a Dark and Stormy---I'll have to make some of this syrup and mix one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I've never tried a Dark and Stormy, but that just went on my list now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to have to try this. I love Ginger Beer but the brand I like of it (Stewart's) I can only find online now and it's too darned expensive. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing, I find ginger ale a bit weak sometimes and this looks like the perfect solution! Beautiful photography too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails