In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, September 30, 2013

Double Chocolate Muffins

I have to tell you that I have no need for any more cookbooks in my life. My shelves are full. When people come to my house their jaws fall open when they realize every book on the shelf in the living room is a cookbook. Now here's the bad part...I still WANT more. It is so hard this time of year because there are always new ones coming out for the holidays. If I don't keep things in check they start piling up on coffee tables and the end tables in the bedroom. Soon I am trying to find nooks and crannies to stuff them. I have come to the point that I even have to be selective in the free ones that publishers send. Now, the rule is that every time one comes in another must go out. I wish I could say that this process was really hard, but the truth is I end up with so many cookbooks that never get used. Either I get lured in by the pretty pictures and the recipes just aren't practical, or even worse... the recipes don't work. I can't believe how many seemingly delicious duds there are out there. Lately, I have been trying to make one or two recipes from a cookbook before I actually purchase it. It's pretty easy these days, especially with the "look inside" option on Amazon. 
So, last weekend I decided to make the Cinnamon Roll Scones from "One Bowl Baking". I had scribbled the recipe down quickly and couldn't read if it was 1/4 or 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda. So, I asked David to look it up for me. Of course I didn't tell him what I was making. As he scrolled through the recipes in the preview he came to the Double Chocolate muffins and got very excited. I had to  break the news that I wasn't making Double Chocolate muffins. So, I promised I would make them this weekend and I did. After making two recipes from this book I am totally sold. These muffins were a hit. Now the only question is which cookbook goes?

Amazon.com
Double Chocolate Muffins
adapted from One Bowl Baking by Yvonne Ruperti

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon dutch process cocoa powder
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake papers or spray with non-stick vegetable spray. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Add salt, espresso powder, whisk a few times to blend.  Pour in vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract and whisk until mixture is well combined. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, they will seems very full. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out with only chocolate and not batter. It can be a little challenging to tell when they are done because they have so many chocolate chips in them. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool another 10 minutes on a cooling rack. I prefer them when they are still slightly warm and the chocolate chips are all melty inside.

10 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I dearly love chocolate muffins because it's like a socially acceptable way of eating a naked cupcake for breakfast...and who doesn't love that? And the one-bowl part is a big bonus too. Thanks for the cookbook recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never understand why muffins are an acceptable breakfast and cupcakes not. Who makes these rules?

      Delete
  2. I think you made the right choice to keep this cookbook. Thanks for a one bowl recipe. I'm always on the lookout for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more cooking I do, the less I like dishes! I agree, one bowl is the way to go.

      Delete
  3. Uh... Chocolate Cake for Breakfast... Didn't Bill Cosby get in trouble for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you call them muffins, pastries, scones, etc...then it is perfectly acceptable. There are rules that need to be followed here. :)
      This summer I was in a little bakery in Denali and a little girl wanted a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. Her Mom said no to the cookie, but let her have hot chocolate with her granola. When it arrived she looked at her Mom and said, "How is this different than a chocolate chip cookie?"
      Good question.

      Delete
  4. Hi everyone, this website is really useful for me and I actually follow these recipes to practise step by step. Started with muffins, how much temperature that I have to adjust before I put the tin into the oven,
    Thanks people so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, yesss! these look incredible! i so didn't need to see them at 1am on a thursday night because now i'm craving a midnight snack, haha :) and i totally sympathise with your cookbook addiction by the way. admitting it is the first step!

    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You caught my attention with the words "DOUBLE chocolate". I love chocolate muffins. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lots of cookbooks to and still want more. Like your idea of getting the recipe on amazon first, I think I'll have to try that. Muffins look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails