In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chipotle Baked Beans

 
At the beginning of the year I made some food resolutions. I really wanted to expand not only my palate, but also my cooking abilities. I not only have vowed to eat a greater variety of grains, but I really wanted to start cooking with dried beans more often. Late last year I purchased several bags of beans from Rancho Gordo and had not really gone beyond photographing them. A few weeks ago I decided to start small and make baked beans for a BBQ potluck at work. This recipe was looking really good as I loved the idea of chipotle, but when I saw that they called for Rancho Gordo cranberry beans (don't worry you can also use Great Northern white beans as well) I knew they were the ones. This time of year I can't get enough BBQ, corn on the cob, cole slaw, and baked beans. These will be on our table again soon.


True-Blue Baked Beans
Adapted from The Washington Post who adapted it from "Peace Love and Barbecue" by Mike Mills

Ingredients
1 pound Cranberry Beans, or Great Northern Beans
1 cup ketchup
¼ cup molasses
¾ cup cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder or smoked paprika (I used 1/2 teaspoon of each)
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water, two to three inches. Soak beans overnight.
The next day, drain and rinse beans. Return to pot and cover with fresh water by about four inches. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 90 minutes, or until beans are tender but not bursting open.
While beans are cooking, mix ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire, mustard, chili powder and cumin in a large bowl.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring constantly, for about two minutes. Onion should still be a little crunchy.
Drain beans, reserving up to two cups of bean water. Pour beans into bowlful of sauce. Add onion and stir to combine. Add as much bean liquid as necessary.
Pour beans into a lightly oiled 13x9 baking dish and bake  until bubbly, about two hours. Will keep, refrigerated, for up to one week.

Makes 8-10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails