In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Coconut Oil Granola

Three years ago I switched to a new granola recipe and have been making it ever since. Lately, I noticed that I haven't been making granola as much as I used to. I think I have become more bored with making it than eating it. Not that it is hard to change things up when it comes to granola. It's pretty much mix up a bunch of nuts and grains that you like in a bowl and throw it in the oven kind of thing. I see new recipes on occasion, but for the most part they are just another version of the same old granola. Although this recipe isn't that different from others, there was one ingredient that caught my eye, coconut oil. At $12.00 a bottle, it won't be replacing my  regular granola anytime soon, but it will be nice to change things up every now and again. I love the added coconut flavor the oil adds to the granola. If only they would start selling Liberté coconut yogurt in the United States, I would be all set for a super coconut breakfast. I always adjust my granola recipes so they make just enough to fit in my large granola jar. Feel free to adjust ingredients and amounts to suit your taste. I prefer fresh berries on my granola, so you rarely find dried fruit in my granola. Cherries would be a nice addition with these flavors. If you decided to add chocolate chips, I wouldn't tell. What are your favorite additions when making homemade granola?
Amazon.com
Coconut Oil Granola
adapted from Cook This Now

4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raw pecans, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups large flake coconut chips
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 300° F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecans, coconut, maple syrup, coconut oil, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Spread the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake until golden all over, about 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem finding Liberte's coconut yogurt around here. I also don't have a problem buying it, because its delicious. But I cant justify the 270 cal for a tiny yogurt all the time, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making the same granola recipe with maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg for weeks now! I usually add raisins, too. This coconut oil granola sounds like a wonderful break from the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was under the impression Liberte Coconut Yogurt was only found in Canada because that is the only place I had ever seen it. At that time I was riding my bike about 200 miles a week, so I never looked at the calorie content. That would definitely be a consideration now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made granola last week with coconut oil, and I wasn't sure if I should measure the coconut oil before or after I melted it. Seems like it would make a difference, right? What did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I debated that question myself and the first time I made it I measured it (in a dry measuring cup) before it was melted and then again (in a wet measuring cup)after. I was shocked how close it actually was. A little short, but I think that was just my inability to pack it tightly. The second time I made it the woodstove was so hot in our house, the oil had already melted in the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I always sprinkle coconut on my granola.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nicole - although I use coconut oil in baking, in frying etc - I'd never thought to use it in my granola. Inspired by your post, I modified my chocolate granola to use coconut oil instead of olive oil. Thanks! and I love your site

    http://saffroncrush.com/decadent-chocolate-granola/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sell the yogurt at my local publix here in Florida. Also, I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails