In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Jammy Almond Thumbprint Cookies

It's all about the jam with these cookies. These cookies are only so very subtly sweet, so a sweet jam is a good choice. I used apricot and plum, but found myself wishing I had some raspberry which is a little sweeter. It is important not to think of these as traditional cookies. If you are looking for a double chocolate chip, these aren't going to cut it. If you are looking for a little something to go with tea, now these are your cookies. They are also great to toss in a ziploc bag and take to work for a little mid-day snack. Just enough sweetness to brighten your day, but not so much sugar that you end up crashing at 3:00 in the afternoon. The original recipe called for raw almonds, but I only had toasted in the house. I thought they turned out great with them. Also, be sure and let them cool completely before eating them. That jammy middle part is super hot straight out of the oven. Kind of the equivalent of boiling hot jam straight out of the pot. Not that I have ever put my tongue to either because that would just be plain stupid. 
One last thing, this dough is incredibly crumbly and a little frustrating if you don't tell it who is boss right from the beginning. It took me a few tries and a lot of muttering, but toward the end I was pressing the holes in the cookies and adding jam at record speed. It took a little practice though. In the end it was worth it, because I just love cookies filled with delicious jam and a cup of hot tea. This time of year it is especially nice while sitting by a warm wood stove.

Amazon.com
Jammy Almond Thumbprint Cookies
adapted from My Father's Daughter
4 cups barley flour
3 cups toasted unsalted whole almonds crushed in a food processor
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup canola oil
1 cup maple syrup
Your favorite jam flavors

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Combine all of the ingredients, except the jam, in a large bowl. Take some of the mixture in your hand and see if it will stick together and form a ball. If the dough does not hold together alternate adding a teaspoon of maple syrup or canola oil until the dough holds together.Keep in mind this dough is incredible crumbly.  Form into rounded tablespoon-sized balls and space them evenly on baking sheets lined with parchment. Use a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon to make an indentation in each cookie. I found it helpful to place my hand over the top of the spoon to hold the cookie together while I pressed down. It took a few tries, but once I got it down the rest went pretty smoothly. Fill each cookie with a small amount of jam. Bake until cookies are evenly browned, about 20 minutes.
Yield: 45 cookies

8 comments:

  1. Nicole, I love your blog. :) I just found it this week and I've gone through your archives just drooling over all your recipes! I want to give these a try but I'll have to acquire barley flour and almonds before doing so. They sound so good, I can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Let me know how you like them.

      Delete
  2. How many cookies does it make? Because maybe I need to halve the recipe in case I eat all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a snowy and icy with no power few days in Seattle. I saw this recipe and couldn't resist making these. I had to see what I had on hand and had to make a few changes because of lack of ingredients. I used 1/2 honey and 1/2 maple syrup and mixed almonds and walnuts and 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 canola. Fortunatelly I had a few almost empty jars of jams (cherry,bitter orange, concord grape,summer raspberry)Needles to say they were so delicious I have had to hide them from my husabnd and 5 year old. As I write this I took your suggestion and am enjoying 2 with a cup of tea. Looking forward to trying more of your recipes. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. So rustic and warm looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this recipe and it was really natural and good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails