In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Chicken in Cardamom Yogurt Sauce

Ok, I'll admit it. I made this a long time ago and never posted it because, well the recipe is long and I couldn't find it already posted anywhere on the internet. It is actually from Bon Appetit, but in that beginning section where they get recipes from restaurants. Apparently they do not post these recipes online. This one caught my eye because it is from one of my all-time favorite Indian Restaurants, Vijs. I even own the Vij's cookbook, but this particular recipe is not in the cookbook, which is too bad because I think it is one of my favorites so far. The great part is the Chicken in Cardamom Yogurt sauce can be made in one dish. I actually wasn't all that excited about the red pepper and shallot curry. I think the chicken without the curry will become a part of our regular quick weeknight meals.

Chicken in Cardamom Yogurt Sauce
from Bon Appetit

1 1/2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
1 1/2 cups canned tomato puree
3 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons ground coriander
2 Tablespoons canola oil
4 teaspoons paprika
1 Tablespoon celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, cracked
10 whole cloves
5 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Steamed Basmati Rice
Red Bell Pepper and Shallot Curry (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk first 13 ingredients in a 2 quart baking dish. Add chicken; and stir to coat. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with basmati rice and Red Bell Pepper and Shallot Curry (below).

Red Bell Pepper and Shallot Curry
Bon Appetit

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 cups thinly sliced shallots (about 10 large shallots)
1 bunch green onions (about 6), white and pale green parts separated from dark green parts, all chopped
1 pound plum tomatoes (about 4 large), chopped
3 large jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped 
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds 
3 large red bell peppers, thinly sliced

Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add shallots and white and pale green parts of green onions. Cook, stirring often about 8 minutes until golden brown. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, turmeric, paprika and mustard seeds to skillet. Simmer mixture until oil begins to separate, about 10 minutes. Add bell peppers and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover skillet and cook until bell peppers are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Season curry to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped dark green parts of green onions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe. I cooked the chicken in Cardamom Yogurt last night and it was delicious! I'll post on my blog soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good. I should really expand my cooking skills into the savory :-) I am book marking this recipe for later; thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails