In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chocolate Caramel Crackers

I was not really feeling in the holiday spirit this weekend. With all the snow we have been getting, it feels more like Christmas than Easter. Although we have a small window of hope the last two days, this morning I awoke to more snow! I'm craving hearty soups and all things drenched in caramel. So, when I saw this recipe using Matzo crackers it seemed like the perfect compromise.
The sweet, the salty, the chocolate. Oh, yes these are good and quite addictive. The original site where I found this recipe referred to them as Crack(ers). Unlike toffee which requires a candy thermometer and a little more precision. These are super easy to make. I ended up just putting the whole bag of chocolate chips on top, so my chocolate was a little thicker than the original recipe.

Chocolate Caramel Crackers
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

4 to 6 sheets matzo (I used the lightly salted ones) or approximately 40 Saltine crackers or crackers of your choice
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into a few large pieces
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 
You can top with toasted nuts as well

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet completely with foil, and then line the base of the foil with parchment paper, cut to fit.

Line the bottom of the baking sheet with matzo or crackers, covering all parts. 

In a medium heavy-duty saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and stir it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Once it has begun boiling, let it bubble for three more minutes, stirring it well. It will thicken a bit as it cooks. Remove from the heat and add the salt and vanilla, and then quickly pour it over the matzo or crackers. You’ll want to spread it quickly, as it will begin to set as soon as it is poured.Bake the caramel-covered crackers for 15 minutes, watching carefully as it will bubble and the corners might darken too quickly and/or burn. You can reduce the heat if you see this happening.

Remove from oven and immediately cover with chocolate chips. Let stand five minutes, and then spread them evenly across the caramel. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to one week. 


3 comments:

  1. I saw this too and it took all my will power not to rush out and buy crackers. Having seen you make them as well I can feel my resolve cracking - oh dear, I didn't see that pun coming, see what those things do!

    Sorry to hear about the snow. Hopefully some warmth and sunshine isn't far off. Goodness know we're not hording it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to double the chocolate chips and push LOTS of toasted hazelnuts or toasted almonds, chopped med. fine into the chocolate before it cools. Talk about a drug!! I can't make these unless I give most of them away.

    Thanks for the great stories.

    Cheers, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these for years with graham crackers. Will have to try with matzo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails