In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dutch Baby

There are so many breakfast dishes similar to this one. My obsession with them started when we picked more lingonberries than we knew what to do with last fall. I thought it would be nice to make a traditional lingonberry dish and made Pannukakku. It was good, but the recipe I used was nothing like the Pannuakakku I remembered eating at the Soumi Cafe when I was growing up. So a few weeks ago I made a similar dish called an Apple Pancake, which was much better and quite tasty. I'm sure the apply pancake will become a regular player in the Saturday morning breakfast routine. I was still looking for a solid stand alone replacement that could nicely hold a lingonberry sauce. Then I found this recipe for the dutch baby in the last issue of Gourmet Magazine. I stuck to the recipe and topped it with lemon sugar. Yes, I did use Meyer Lemon zest that I have stored away in the freezer. The next time I make this I will use some of the lingonberries that are still lingering or would that be lingonring in my freezer. I loved the texture and the flavor of this Dutch Baby pancake. The recipe called for making this in a 10 inch cast iron skilled, but I used a glass pie plate and it turned out just as well. Next time I might double the recipe and make it in a 9x13 pan. I can't wait to make this one again...

Dutch Baby with Lemon Sugar
from Gourmet

1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
3 large eggs at room temperature 
2/3 cup whole milk at room temperature
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Put a 10 inch skillet or pie plate on middle rack of oven and preheat oven to 450ºF.
Stir together sugar and zest in a small bowl.
Beat eggs with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and frothy, then beat in milk, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and continue to beat until smooth, about 1 minute more (batter will be thin).
Add butter to hot skillet and melt, swirling to coat. Add batter and immediately return skillet to oven. Bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 25 minutes.
Serve immediately, topped with lemon sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! Then again, eating anything with "baby" in the name is a little alluring....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails