In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cranberry Sorbet

When I purchased Tessa Kirros book Falling Cloudberries it was for the meatball recipe that is served with a lingonberries. I am really loving Scandinavian recipes and cooking lately. It started with the insanely fruitful (forgive the pun) cranberry season we had last fall. It was during that time that I started to realize that there is a real connection between the food in the Northern Scandinavia and the food here in interior Alaska. I must admit that I purchased the book hoping for some Cloudberry recipes as well, our (not so) secret spot is in bloom right now and if those flowers are any indicator of the number of berries we will find in July... it is going to be a bumper crop. I'm already planning on taking a day off just to pick them. In any case the title of the book is a misnomer as there actually are no Clouberry recipes in the book. I suppose that is ok, since it is the several gallons of lingonberries that I am trying to use up from my freezer right now. This Cranberry Sorbet is beautifully featured on the front cover of the book. I'm sure you could use regular cranberries if you are not the sort of person who keeps 10 gallons of lingonberries in your freezer. I still can't get over the color of this sorbet. I love the "real" taste of cranberries and chose to use about 1/2 cup less sugar in the recipe, I don't recommend this for the average person as the sorbet was puckery tart ( just the way I like it).

Cranberry Sorbet

5 cups of fresh or frozen wild cranberries (lingonberries)
1 1/2 cups of superfine (baker's) sugar (I used only 1 cup for a super tart sorbet)

In a large saucepan over medium heat bring the berries, sugar, and 3 1/2 cups of water to a simmer. 
Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the berries soften and begin to pop. Puree the mixture with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Strain mixture into medium bowl and place in fridge to let cool completely or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. I found the mixture to be a little too soft right out of the ice cream maker. Place in covered container in freezer for a few hours for a harder set. 

1 comment:

  1. Positively devine looking. Take it easy on that cranberry liquor...been there, done that:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails