In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Raspberry Chiffon Pie

When I have to wait in line at the grocery store I like to browse through the magazines that I would never buy. I used to read People until I got busted one day by one of those friends who would never dream of picking up a People magazine. They never looked at me the same after that incident, in fact it was one of the primary reasons I moved to Fairbanks. I figured I would never live down the humiliation of shopping at Safeway (rather than the co-op) and reading People magazine in the check-out lane in a small town like Port Townsend, I think I might even have had some Lay's potato chips in my cart (oh, the horrors). In any case...I vowed not to make that mistake here in Fairbanks ( I only read my trash online in the privacy of my home now, although I must admit that I don't know who half those people are anymore). So, what to do while waiting in line at Fred Meyer? I usually pick up the latest Cook's Illustrated in the check out lane (now everyone thinks I am a freak for not reading People, I can't win). I have a subscription to Cook's Illustrated online which gives me access to pretty much every recipe they have ever published. Every recipe except this one that was featured on the cover of their summer entertaining issue. I guess they do not publish their specialty publications online. The great thing about the internet is that with a quick little google search you can usually find someone who has made the recipe you are looking for. I ended up finding this one on a fellow Alaska bloggers page, Batter Splattered. No wonder it looked so familiar, I follow Molly's blog regularly. From there I was able to find it on the Cook's Country site. I must say that mine does not look nearly as lovely as the distinctly three-layered one on the cover of the magazine, but it sure was tasty. It reminded me of an upscale version of Jello Light and Fruity pie that my Mom used to make.

Raspberry Chiffon Pie
adapted from Cook's Illustrated Summer Entertaining Issue

Fruit Ingredients
12 ounces frozen raspberries (2 cups)
3 tablespoons powdered pectin (Sure-Jell)
1 1/2 cups sugar
Pinch table salt
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 (9-inch) pie shell , baked and cooled

Chiffon Ingredients
3 tablespoons raspberry flavored gelatin
3 tablespoons boiling water
3 ounces cream cheese , softened
1 cup heavy cream , chilled

Whipped Cream Topping
1 1/4 cups heavy cream , well chilled
2 tablespoons sugar

1. For the fruit layer: Cook frozen berries in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to give up their juice, about 3 minutes. Stir in pectin and bring to full boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and salt and return to full boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Immediately (it is very important that it does not cool), pour through fine-mesh strainer into medium bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much puree as possible. Scrape puree off underside of strainer into bowl.

2. Transfer 1/3 cup raspberry puree to small bowl and cool to room temperature. While still warm, gently fold fresh raspberries into remaining puree. Spread fruit mixture evenly over bottom of pie shell and set aside.
3. For the chiffon layer: Dissolve gelatin in boiling water in large bowl. Add cream cheese and reserved 1/3 cup raspberry puree and beat with electric mixer on high speed, scraping down sides of bowl once or twice, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup cream and beat on medium-low until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Beat on high speed until cream holds stiff peaks, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread evenly over fruit in pie shell. Cover pie with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.

4. For the whipped cream topping: When ready to serve, beat 1 1/4 cups cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Spread or pipe over chilled filling (I usually serve mine on the side as we don't usually eat a whole pie in one sitting). Serve.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails