In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Potato Pizza

I had never even heard of potato pizza until this past spring when a visiting friend was looking through my cookbooks. She insisted that I give it a try, so I put it on the list of things to make when the potatoes were ready in the fall. Of course, I promptly forgot. Then a few weeks ago I was browsing Ree Drummond's cookbook at the bookstore and saw her recipe for potato pizza. It was funny because she calls it cowgirl food, as in cowboys don't really like it. I know better than to mess with pizza night at our house. This past Wednesday with the disclaimer that this will not replace our traditional pizza for the week I made potato pizza. I absolutely loved it. It was not such a hit with the male member of my house either, so maybe Ree was right or maybe there is just a fear that this could replace regular pizza night. This one will have to go in the Single Girl rotation. I call the nights that David is away or working late my "single girl nights". I highly recommend it.


Potato Pizza Print
Inspired by Cafe Flora and Pioneer Woman

8 slices bacon
1 Leek
3 Tbsp (or less)extra virgin olive oil
1 clove finely chopped garlic
3 medium red potatoes
3/4 mozzarella cheese shredded and loosely packed
2 oz crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Coarse salt or Fleur de sel
Freshly ground black pepper
Unbaked pizza crust (I have a recipe for one here)

Preheat pizza stone in oven to 500 degrees
Fry bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Remove bacon from pan and pour out the grease, but do not clean the pan. Cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and set aside.

Return skillet to stove and turn heat to medium-low.
Slice leeks very thinly. Add leeks to the same pan and sauté over medium-low heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Slice potatoes very thin. I’m sure a mandolin would work great here.
Roll out pizza crust, and brush a thin layer of olive oil over crust. Sprinkle with garlic and a light amount of salt. Arrange potatoes in a single layer slightly overlapping edges. Sprinkle potatoes lightly with salt, then lightly sprinkle grated mozzarella over top.
Place sautéed leeks over the top of the cheese.
Next, sprinkle the fried bacon pieces over the top, followed by crumbled goat cheese and grated parmesan.
Finally, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
Bake pizza for 8 to 11 minutes, or until edges of crust are golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly. Cut and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I made it tonight; I think I agree with David on this one.
    I didn't have goat cheese and just upped the mozzarella.
    Maybe it needed more leeks...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails