In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tomato Lime Chicken


This recipe is actually called Butter Chicken, but it is unlike any Butter Chicken I have had before. Now, I don't mean that in a bad way.It is kind of like ordering a cola and getting root beer instead (yes, I consciously am not promoting any brand names here). Root Beer is good when that is what you want, but if you were really craving a cola, well Root Beer just won't do! I was really craving Butter Chicken, the good stuff like we used to get in Victoria at The Mint. This recipe is nothing like the Butter Chicken at The Mint or any other Indian restaurant I have had butter chicken. Once I got over the fact that this was not Butter Chicken I actually enjoyed the flavor. I would definitely make it again only I would call it Tomato Lime Chicken, because someday I hope to post a recipe for Butter Chicken like the one from The Mint and I don't want there to be any confusion!! To me this really was bordering on a Mexican dish, not an Indian one at all. Omit, the cardamom and use regular white rice and voila, it is Mexican. Also, I found as with most Pioneer Woman recipes, you can decrease the butter and the cream (you could also use half and half) without any noticeable difference.

And yes, I purposely linked to The Mint three (now four) times hoping they will read this and share their recipe for Butter Chicken, please.

Tomato Lime Chicken
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients
4 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
5 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
¼ teaspoons Ground Coriander
¼ teaspoons Cumin
¼ teaspoons Cardamom
1 whole Lime, Juiced
1 whole Onion, Diced
¼ cups Butter
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Tomato Sauce
1 pint Whipping Cream
1 bunch Chopped Cilantro, to taste
2 cups Basmati Rice

Preparation
In a medium bowl combine chicken and next eight ingredients through lime juice, set aside.
Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add chicken mixture and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on. Add the cream and top with cilantro just before serving over rice.

If you like it spicy, add a little more cayenne to taste.

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails