In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, April 23, 2010

Whole Wheat Apple Oat Muffins

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to decide what to make for breakfast. David requested some "whole wheat" muffins. It was his way of asking for something a little more healthy than the usual weekend butter filled scones. I had some apples to use up, so a quick google search produced these muffins from King Arthur Flour. I added some oatmeal to give them a little more texture. It was a good decision as I think they would have been a little too cake-like without it. Well sealed, they keep really well. I recommend baking up a batch on the weekend and having them for breakfast all week long.

Whole Wheat Apple Oat Muffins
adapted from King Arthur Flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup oats (not instant), +2 tablespoons for topping
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup whole milk
2 apples peeled cored and chopped into chunks

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Grease and flour 12 cup muffin tin.

Whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and add the regular white sugar with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well; scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix in the milk (the mixture may curdle, but still turns out fine) Stir in the dry ingredients and the apple chunks.

Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups., Mix the remaining brown sugar and oats, sprinkle on top. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.

5 comments:

  1. Think you could sub applesauce for the butter pat? Also, what about some other sweeteners than sugar? how sweet did these end up - do you think you could get away withleaving out a lot of the sugar and still have a tastey muffin??

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy!

    I just love googling for recipes. I have a shelf of favorite cookbooks but search for recipes with specific ingredients more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miranda-I would go for it, let me know how they turn out. I love to experiment in the kitchen and make things my own. Since I have not tried the substitutions you ask about I have no idea, but I rarely find things to be inedible. I bet the applesauce would make it more sweet as well, therefore enabling you to lessen the sugar.

    Janet- I am the same way. I have tons of cookbooks, but more often than not I end up googling the ingredients I have on hand. One of the main factors in getting a netbook was having a cheap computer that I could take in the kitchen! I also love Food Blog Search and the Super Natural Recipe Search.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I love making muffins with whole wheat flour, they have so much more flavor. And I love anything with apple and cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne- Thanks, I am really starting to like whole grains. I was kind of frustrated when the whole gluten free movement started, but now I am finding so much variety and flavor using all different sorts of grain. It is nice to have options.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails