In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, October 15, 2010

Vietnamese Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup

Wow, is it Friday again already? I didn't realize when I posted Sesame Noodles on Wednesday what a noodley week it was going to be here. This is the third recipe from the new online cooking club called "French Fridays with Dorie". The group is cooking their way through Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan. I joined the group to challenge myself to cook and bake things that I wouldn't normally choose. Last week was a huge success when I expanded my horizons to include a dish very similar to quiche.
Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to YoursThis week was something that I didn't really feel stretched my culinary horizons and although it made for a filling meal, it wasn't something I would make again. Despite the fact that the recipe included coconut milk, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and red pepper, and lime juice...somehow this one just came up flat. The thing I have liked most about this cookbook so far is that all the recipes I have tried have really let the ingredients shine. In the gougeres I felt the cheese really made a difference, and the same with the mustard in the tart. This week I think my ingredients fell flat and just didn't produce the flavor I would have hoped for in this soup. There is a side note in the cookbook that recommends adding curry to the soup. Looking back I would have gone with that option, but I am not curious enough to make this one again.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this soup didn't work for you. We enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sad that it didnt taste as good as it looks

    ReplyDelete
  3. just looking at it, it looks like it's a curry kind of dish. then again, maybe it's the power of suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the look of it with the egg noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband enjoyed the soup, but I found myself eating the chicken and noodles and leaving the broth which is what I normally do when I eat chicken noodle soup because I am not a huge fan of it. I love the second photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it would taste good with curry. Sorry you didn't like it more. Here's hoping the next one will be better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here, wasn't thrilled with it but Im glad I tried it! ALl those noodles look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved how you said you were having a noodley week. Funny! Yours was the second post I've read that said this soup fell flat on flavor. Too bad. I didn't get a chance to make this so maybe this isn't a bad thing. Anyway, yours looks very pretty :)
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps I was more thrilled with it as it was something I wouldn't ordinarily do? I also really spiced it up in my own bowl.
    Trevor Sis Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd definitely try adding some curry paste to the mix next time to heat things up. I used a heaping tablespoon of green curry paste and it was great! Your photo still looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry the soup wasn't to your liking. I really enjoyed it and thought it was super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry you didn't enjoy this one! Your soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry this one didn't work for you, it looks pretty anyways!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails