In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Asian Cole Slaw with Wasabi Dressing

There is a time and place for shortcuts in cooking, but if you really want something outstanding I truly believe you need to put a little time and energy into it. I have learned a lot from cooking these last four years. Don't get me wrong, I had basic cooking skills before I moved to Fairbanks. Back then my home cooking was the back-up to eating out. Now, eating out has become the last resort. I do still find places in Fairbanks that give me a little inspiration. I have been a fan of the Wasabi Cole Slaw at our local brewery for a while now. I guess I should say I have been a fan of the idea, the execution leaves much to be desired. I have even made it at home a few times adding Wasabi powder to traditional cole slaw dressing. I like the Wasabi kick, but it  was kind of boring. So, I was thrilled when David Lebovitz posted his version. Not only did it include Wasabi, but a whole host of other wonderful Asian flavors. The best part is that the recipe included fresh chives. I look for any excuse to use chives this time of year as they are the only thing ready in my garden. The original version is more a stand alone meal and I recommend you check it out as well. I was looking for something to top off our pulled pork sandwiches, so I simplified things a bit.


Asian Cole Slaw with Wasabi Dressing
adapted from David Lebovitz

For the dressing:
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons wasabi powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
2 teaspoons peeled and finely minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup canola oil

For the cole slaw:
1 small head of  cabbage, sliced thin
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh chives, minced

In a small bowl or measuring cup add lime juice and wasabi powder. Set aside for five minutes. Add remaining dressing ingredients to bowl and process with an immersion blender (you can also use a whisk).
In a large bowl add all cole slaw ingredients. Pour dressing ingredients over top and mix thoroughly. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails