In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, June 17, 2011

Rhubarb Vanilla Bean Scones

I see you rolling your eyes. More Rhubarb? More Scones? Eleven scone recipes, and now today there will be twelve! That is a lot of scones. Plus, three Rhubarb recipes in one week. That is the thing about living in Fairbanks. I have lived other places where everyone talks about eating seasonally, but never has it been more of a reality than it is at this point in my life. We have such a limited time with fresh produce, that I try to consume a whole years worth in four three months.
David and I were discussing our pizza stone the other night, wondering how many calories have been cooked on that stone since it was purchased five years ago. I can't even venture a guess. If I had to pick one item that holds the record for calorie content on this blog it would have to be all the scones. My quest for the perfect scone is what drove this blog in the beginning. I eventually branched out to other breakfast items, but it seems both on the blog and in real life I keep coming back to the scone. It is my perfect breakfast food. I'm not sure why I never thought about it before, but rhubarb seems to be the perfect scone pairing.  I can't get enough Rhubarb, that is until the blueberries and raspberries arrive!

Rhubarb Vanilla Bean Scones
adapted slightly from food52

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into approx. 1/2 inch pieces
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup half and half or buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425.
Pour sugar into small bowl and add seeds of one scraped vanilla bean. Mix to incorporate and separate bean paste. You can substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, but add to the half and half later.
Toss Rhubarb with 3 tablespoons of the sugar.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl.
Work butter into flour mixture by hand until butter is the size of small peas.
Blend in remaining sugar. Add rhubarb. Mix in cream until a soft dough forms.
Transfer dough to floured surface. Pat and flatten into a disk about one inch thick and cut into 6-8 pieces.
Arrange on ungreased cookie sheet and bake about 20 minutes or until light brown on top. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Scones can be kept covered overnight, but taste better fresh. I recommend freezing and baking them as needed if you are not going to eat the whole batch. Instead of baking them, place them on a tray in the freezer overnight. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Then just take them out as you need them and bake. You might need to extend the baking time just a bit. 

4 comments:

  1. These look great, I also have lots of rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to love rhubarb though! I love eating it pureed with a little sugar and cream on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rhubarb - here the season is nearly over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fluffy and tender looking. They must have been fabulous when they were eaten warm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails