In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lemon Basil Roast Peaches

I recently started using Eat Your Books to index all of the recipes in my cookbooks. I had heard that there were programs like this out there, but the layout of most of them was that you pretty much had to index all your favorite recipes yourself. When you have 138 cookbooks that is a lot of recipes! Eat Your Books already has most cookbooks indexed for you. It didn't have all 138, but it did have a large chunk of them. Why would I want to do this you ask? Well, when  you have invested in 138 cookbooks you really would like to use them. The problem is that it is so much easier just to google basil and peaches if you want to find a recipe that uses basil and peaches than it is to look through the index of each and every one of your cookbooks. So, more often than not I use the internet rather than my cookbooks to cook from. A very big waste of my hard earned resources if you ask me. The process to get this all set up took me about two hours, but I really do think it was worth it. Now I know that I have access to 19,611 recipes, but only four of them contain basil and peaches. Why basil and peaches you ask? Well, I was really curious about the flavor combination. I had recently seen sodas and some jam using the combination. I was looking for a little less commitment as I was uncertain I would like the combination. Then I stumbled across this simple recipe for roast peaches with basil and lemon. I skipped the lemon and just used lemon basil instead. This is another one of those recipe for when you need a quick and simple dessert. It is just as easy to make for two people as it is for twelve. It also makes a pretty spectacular presentation. Guests will be impressed. The flavor combination is really amazing. You can also use regular sweet basil, it tastes great as well. I was really surprised how well the two go together. Now, maybe I'm ready for the commitment of peach basil soda or peach basil jam.


Lemon Basil Roast Peaches
adapted from I Know How to Cook

1 peach, halved and pitted
1/2 tablespoon butter
4 teaspoons brown sugar
6 lemon basil leaves chiffonade (cut into long thin strips), plus extra for garnish
Whip cream or ice cream to top (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place eat peach half in a small ramekin or oven proof container. In the well of each peach half add 1/4 tablespoon butter, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and 3 of the chiffonade basil leaves. Place ramekins in oven for 20 minutes or until peaches are soft and butter is bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes. Top with whip cream or ice cream and garnish with additional basil leaves. Serve.

3 comments:

  1. I really do plan on trying this... I just keep eating the peaches before I get everything together :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I have a tons of basil right now and I'm not really sure what to do with it all. Guess I will have to give these a try! :) I came across your blog today and I'm excited to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I never would have thought to combine those two. Peaches will be in season here soon, maybe I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails