In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Boozy Cherry Clafoutis for Two

Ok, so maybe I just like saying Boozy Clafoutis. Go ahead...it's fun isn't it? I always feel really proud when I am able to whip something up in my kitchen that requires no special trip to the grocery and also requires little effort. Although this clafoutis takes 40 minutes to bake, it takes about 15 to put together, and that includes pitting the cherries. Am I the only one who hates pitting cherries? Well, in some other recipes I found they recommend actually leaving them in. I didn't do that here as I wanted the cherries to soak up the flavor of the rum. I ended up making this recipe three times this week. The first time I tested it out was on Tuesday night, it was so good and easy. I doubled the recipe and made it again on Wednesday night for friends. Then, this morning  I made it minus the rum for breakfast. For breakfast? Yes, for  breakfast. How is it any different than a dutch baby or these apple pancakes? In fact, I will argue that it is healthier as the only butter I used was about 1/8 teaspoon to grease the pan. If you have been around here a while you know I have proposed much worse options for breakfast.
In any case, I am positive boozy clafoutis is going to become a regular around here. I see several versions in my future including Boozy Bourbon Peach Clafoutis early this fall, maybe a Raspberry Chambord as well. The options are endless. Have a good idea for a good boozy clafoutis combo? Let me know in the comments section.

Boozy Cherry Clafoutis for Two
adapted from Tartelette
Ingredients:
about 30 sweet cherries, pitted
2 tablespoons rum, or other liquor of your choice
butter for greasing the pan
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
powdered sugar for dusting, and/or lightly whipped cream

Instructions:
Place pitted cherries in small bowl with rum. Allow to sit while preparing the rest of the ingredients, or do ahead and place in fridge overnight (even better).
Preheat the oven to 350F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly butter two 12-15 ounce shallow ramekins or other oven safe container. I have a few assorted size cast iron pans. This recipe will work in the smaller 6 oz pans, you will just need four of them. The cooking time is about the same no matter what size dish you use.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and honey until well combined. Add the milk, cream and flour and whisk until smooth. Place cherries close together in a single layer in the bottom of each pan. Slowly pour batter over the cherries, trying not to disturb them too much. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Serve at room temperature dusted with powdered sugar and/or lightly whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Looks terrific! Are the cherries tart or sweet?
    Could you clarify this, please?
    "2 tablespoons cup all purpose flour"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Grief, I need an editor! Sweet cherries, I think any variety of sweet would work. 2 tablespoons of flour. Thanks for catching that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails