In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Grapefruit Scones

I have always wondered why the New Year is celebrated in January. It just seems cruel to have a person make resolutions for a new year when it is cold and dark and all you want to eat is chicken and dumplings. Well, maybe that is just me.Wouldn't it just be kinder to start the new year on April 1. Then they would have to move April Fool's Day I suppose. Who would want to start every new year being a fool? In any case, this is the time of year when I start craving asparagus and salads. For breakfast every morning I want grapefruit instead of oatmeal or granola. I love grapefruit. I used to eat one for breakfast every morning until travel and living in the backcountry got me out of the habit. Now that I am much more aware of the seasonality of citrus fruit, I have a hard time eating them out of season. Last week I found some exceptionally good grapefruit at our local grocery and I couldn't stop eating them. I liked them so much that in an effort to eat even more of them, I turned them into scones. You see I had already eaten one whole grapefruit on its own and I still wanted more. I know grapefruit scones sound a little strange. These are a little different than my usual scones. They require a little more handling to make sure everything holds together. I found the original recipe to be a little too heavy on the grapefruit zest and a bit bitter, so in the second batch I only put the zest on the top of the scones. You will want to serve these scones while they are still somewhat warm. They reminded me of broiled grapefruit. I loved how some of the juice from the grapefruit oozed out and made them crispy along the edges. If you like grapefruit, you are going to love these scones.

Grapefruit Scones 
adapted from Joy the Baker 

 Makes: 6 scones 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided 
1 teaspoon grapefruit zest 
1 Ruby Red grapefruit, segmented 
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold 
3 tablespoons honey 
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing tops 

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Set aside. 
Combine grapefruit zest and remaining granulated sugar in a small bowl, mix with a fork to combine until mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside. 
Segment the grapefruit next. Slice off the bottom and top of the grapefruit, exposing the wheel of grapefruit flesh inside. Use a sharp knife to cut away the peel and pith of the grapefruit, exposing the pink grapefruit flesh. Slice in between the white skin segments to the center of the fruit, at a slight angel, circling the grapefruit. Little grapefruit segments should fall from the fruit as you slice. Set segments aside. 
Dice cold butter into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry blender to combine ingredients, work until mixture resembles a coarse meal with a few larger pea sized chunks. Add the honey, and heavy cream. Mix with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are moistened. 
Turn the scone dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough a few times until all the crumbly bits are incorporated. Form into an 6 inch circle, about 2 inches thick. 
Cut the upper third off of the circle and set to the side. Lay the grapefruit segments on the bottom half in a single layer, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edge. Place top back on scones and push down on edges to seal. Don't worry if some of the grapefruit segments break through the dough. Pat down entire circle until it is about 1 inch thick, 8 inch circle. Lightly brush the top with heavy cream, and sprinkle generously with all of the grapefruit sugar. Press lightly into dough with your hand.Use a knife or a bench scraper to cut the dough into six scone triangles. Place  on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown on top and firm but soft in the center. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before serving.Serve slightly warm.

2 comments:

  1. Those look so good! Looking at those pictures makes me want to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful picture. Those scones look so delicious! Come visit us. We would love to have you over. You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails