In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, April 9, 2012

Triple Coconut Muffins (with Chocolate Chips)


It seems like this year is just flying by. Not only that, but the days too. I got up at 7:00 a.m. yesterday and before I knew it I was off to bed. Easter is another one of those holidays that just seems to slip by without much notice around here. It was late last week before I even realized that this Sunday was Easter. The only Easter tradition we seem to have is that somehow, some way coconut must be consumed at some point during the day. David would probably tell you that it isn't Easter unless chocolate is consumed at some point in the day. To take the pressure off and get all our Easter obligations fulfilled early in the day I made these Coconut Chocolate Chip muffins for breakfast. They were really good, even better when I grabbed one for a snack later in the afternoon. I worried they might be too sweet for breakfast, but they were really not very sweet at all. If you are making them as a dessert I might recommend going with semi-sweet chocolate chips. Definitely let them cool for a bit before you eat them as the coconut flavor intensifies as they cool. I hope you all had a great Easter day, it sure was beautiful here in Fairbanks.


Triple Coconut Muffins (with Chocolate Chips)
adapted (barely) from Smitten Kitchen

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375°F. Either grease 10 muffin cups with coconut oil, or line them with papers.
In a medium bowl, whisk together your flours, baking powder and salt. Stir 1/2 cup shredded coconut. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups then sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Press down slightly, coconut shreds sticking up too high will burn.
Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out batter-free, about 20 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! It's a reconstructed Mounds bar! I have 'most everything in the cupboard; I'll pick up some coconut and get to work on these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious! Can't wait to try them out. I'm sure they would be the perfect complement to a Maui Coconut Porter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These Coconut Muffins sound so yummy, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A macaroon re-invented. Can't wait to try, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bookmark tons of recipes but rarely get around to making them. I substituted 1/4 C mashed banana for the egg. These are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean! Days, years.. they just fly by very cruelly.
    These look very cute. I will forward it to my coconut lover sister-in-law. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. You cracked me up early in the morning and gave me a good start to my Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails