In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Incredible Coconut Key Lime Pie (an Impossible Pie)

This week. Oh, I have been trudging through this week. I feel like everything I do takes twice as long as I thought it would. I had all these ideas about how I would get caught up with things, start spring cleaning. None. None of that happened. I'm not sure what I did exactly. I didn't even go anywhere. Yesterday I finally found my way. I decided to turn off the phone and the computer for most of the day. I tested a few recipes, but when it came to cleaning I just couldn't do it with this beautiful weather. Plus, the dogs were giving me their sad faces. It's amazing I get anything at all done with those sad faces staring at me all the time. It turns out they were right. It was a beautiful day, why weren't we outside? So, I resolved to do better next week and get caught up. Then when I got home I found out that I have been called for jury duty next week. Ugh! Despite the bad timing, I'm a little excited about jury duty. I've never been called before and I'm curious to see how the process works.
So, why on a week when everything seemed to be more challenging than most would I make something called Impossible Pie? Well, that's the secret. Impossible Pie is not impossible at all, but really quite incredible. You mix all the ingredients together, pour it in a pie plate. Incredibly, it separates in the oven forming a chewy coconut crust and a nice custard layer in between. So, I'm not sure how it ever got the name impossible, as it is incredible how easily the whole thing comes together. Most of the recipes I found online were for making two impossible pies. I was pretty sure I didn't need two whole pies in my house, so I adapted the recipe for one incredible pie that is impossible to stop eating.

Incredible Coconut Key Lime Pie (an Impossible Pie)
adapted from Food and Wine

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon key lime zest (regular lime would work just fine)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and adjust the rack to the lower third of the oven. Butter one 9-inch glass pie plate.
In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, coconut, key lime zest, and milk. Pour the mixture into the pie plate and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 50 minutes, until the pie is firm to the touch and golden. Transfer the pie to a rack and cool completely before serving.

12 comments:

  1. This is right up my alley, I love anything creamy and coconut-y. Love the bear plates, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut and key lime sounds like heaven. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds and looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks fantastic and I can't wait to try it. I live in Anchorage,I can see a road trip to Fairbanks in the future. Breakup means nice weather around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing!!! Thank you for sharing
    (Just wanted to let you know, none of your contact buttons above lead to social media profiles) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sorr about the buttons! Thanks for letting me know. Guess I better get some new ones.

      Delete
  6. do you think you can substitute the milk with coconut or almond milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried either, but if I were going to I would definitely experiment with coconut milk. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  7. The Impossible Pies I have recipes for were from Bisquick and were made in the blender. They got the name "impossible" because people couldn't believe you could make it in a blender, then it would separate into layers as it baked. Just some trivia for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some of the recipes I found when making this recipe and were definitely and inspiration. I had stumbled across them while searching for "magic cake" recipes.

      Delete
  8. hmm, How can it be a key lime pie with only 1 teaspoon of zest? It looks so good that I want to try it but I want to add more lime!!

    Thanks,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely more Coconut than Key Lime, hence the coconut first in the name. I liked the more subtle lime flavor, but feel free to add more lime zest if you want to dial the lime flavor up a bit.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails