In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Grenadine

Some people make New Year Resolutions to eat right and lose weight. What fun is that? One of my New Year Resolutions was to make more cocktails! That is far more fun to discuss with friends, rather than the latest diet craze. The problem is that I haven't kept this resolution any better than those of years past.
Lately I have found myself bored with beer. We have had the same brands in our local liquor store for years. I think I have reached the end of finding anything new and exciting in the beer world of Fairbanks. When I look at the wall of liquors, it seems that the combination of flavors could be endless. Plus, I kind of like the idea of unwinding with a cocktail at the end of the day. The only problem is that starting a home bar can be expensive, especially when most of the decent bottles of liquor in Fairbanks cost over $30. So, I will start with some of the basics and hopefully jazz things up with homemade liquors and mixers. Grenadine is probably one of the most recognized staples of any bar. The bright red color adds a punch to many cocktails, or in this case a Shirley Temple. Nobody said my resolution was to drink more alcohol cocktails! The only problem is that it is pure corn syrup and food coloring. Homemade grenadine is really easy to make, and adds a little more zing than the store bought kind. The pomegranate juice can be expensive, but I find the stuff in the health food aisle is a bit less expensive than what you find in the cooler section in the grocery store. There are a couple recommended methods for making homemade grenadine and I decided to combine them. This recipe adds flavor along with a bit alcohol to make it shelf stable. When I tasted this I was actually really surprised how much it tasted like the real thing. Well, a little less syrupy, more flavorful version of the real thing. This recipe makes nearly a quart of grenadine, so get a few smaller bottles and share it with your friends as a Valentine's treat.

Grenadine on Punk DomesticsGrenadine
adapted from here and here
4 cups 100% pomegranate juice, fresh or bottled
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp grand marnier

Bring pomegranate juice to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer until juice is reduced by half. Remove from heat and immediately add two cups sugar, stir to dissolve. Add pomegranate molasses and
Grand Marnier, stir. Allow to cool and bottle.

15 comments:

  1. It is really pretty. Juice I can find but molasses??? If I can find it here in Podunk Idaho, what do I do with the rest???

    ReplyDelete
  2. try Goldhill Liquor for new beer and wine choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. justgrams- I got mine from Zingermans, but you can actually make it. I use mine mostly for salad dressing and occasional middle eastern recipes. In this recipe it just adds a little extra flavor to the grenadine and you could probably leave it out without any adverse effects. To make your own cook down 3/4 cup pomegranate juice to 2 tbsp on high heat. You will need to watch it closely as it starts getting reduced as it will burn quickly at the end.

    Anonymous- Thanks for the suggestion. They do have a large selection, but after three years I'm pretty sure we have tried them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea for a homemade valentine's! I think you just saved me. Thanks...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. How simple--I love it! Such a perfect idea for Valentine's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hands down, BEST new year's resolution I've heard! And what a great way to do it, DIY-style. Love it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't even imagine how long your winters must be...
    I'm looking forward to hearing about the homemade liquors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! What a great idea to pass the winter along. To answer justgrams, you can actually make the pom molasses from reducing the juice as pom molasses is just a pom syrup. I haven't tried it but you can search online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate! I just made my first margarita today!
    I've always wanted to learn how to make cocktails, never been much of a drinker (was always the designated driver!) But am thinking that I have been missing out!
    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again (and again!), so beautiful. I want to do this. I just snagged a bunch of bottles like the one in your photo and it's time to fill them up with pretty, tasty things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of fresh grenadine! Its one of those things I never thought to make myself. Thank You!

    P.S. I know I'm crazy but the photo of the snow makes me miss Alaskan winters :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so making homemade grenadine! Thanks so much for the recipe!
    :)
    I've been cutting out pop by drinking lime or lime juice with club soda. But every so often I want a little more punch. Not so much as a coke or gingerale mmm homemade grenadine might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Theresa- Hope this worked out for you.

    Britt- I'm always amazed how much people appreciate the simpler things.

    Christine- I agree. I have some fun things in the works for St. Patricks Day.

    Story- It is pretty easy to make yourself, I have done it for salad dressing.

    Sanya- Your first margarita? Wow, that is my favorite drink of all time. Wish I could celebrate with you.

    Shae- You always make such lovely things, can't wait to see what you fill them with. Might want to save a few for Cloudberry Liquor. :)

    TIF-It would be even fresher if you juiced the pomegranates yourself! I didn't have the patience. BTW...l can't imagine missing Alaskan winters!

    Allison- I used to be a total Coke (cola that is) addict. I finally weaned myself off of it in a very similar way using torani syrup and sparkling water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! Now that I know what your New Year's resolution is, I'm totally adding your blog to my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so funny -- I just made pom syrup this past weekend for a batch of buttermilk ice cream (the ice cream was a bit too tangy for the husband, he requested something to make it a bit sweeter) and didn't even realise I was making grenadine until after the fact!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely going to have to try this. I just found a recipe for a Mexican drink called Sangrita ( not to be confused with Sangria) that you mix with tequila. It's got grenadine and some chile powder in it among other ingredients and is even better than margaritas.
    I just wish our pomegranate tree here in AZ was producing fruit while we're here in the winters. ( I'm a snowbird these days after over 30 winters in the interior, you see)
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails