In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, February 14, 2011

Meyer Lemon and Pistachio Truffles

It is Valentine's Day, so stop by your local chocolate shop and pick up something nice for your sweetie. What if the closest chocolate shop is 300 miles away? Well, I guess you are going to have to make the chocolates yourself.
I really enjoy making truffles myself anyway. There are so many possible flavor combinations. Once you get the basic recipe down, the possibilities are endless. However, this flavor combination was not my own. During my last trip to Anchorage I stopped in at Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge to sample some of their truffles. This flavor was my favorite by far. Since I can't buy more for Valentine's Day I had to re-create them in my own kitchen.

Meyer Lemon Pistachio Truffles
inspired by Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge

For the Ganache Filling:
12 ounces good quality white chocolate (make sure the ingredients contain cocoa butter)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon grated Meyer Lemon Zest

For Coating:
8 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped coarsely

To make the ganache heat white chocolate, cream, and lemon zest in a double boiler over medium heat. I place a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water as I do not have a double boiler, this also eliminates having to transfer the mixture to another bowl. Stir often until chocolate has melted. Pour into a bowl and cover. Chill overnight.

Remove bowl from fridge and scoop out teaspoon sized balls of ganache. I find it easiest to portion out all of the ganache and then use my hands to roll them into balls. Place balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for two hours.

Melt bittersweet chocolate in double boiler. Once completely smooth remove ganache from freezer. Carefully slide the parchment with ganache off the baking sheet and place a clean sheet of parchment on the baking sheet. One at a time dip the ganache into bittersweet chocolate and coat completely. Place on frozen parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Repeat until all pieces have been coated and return the sheet to the freezer for one hour.

Once firm, place truffles in mini cupcake papers and put in covered container to store. Keep in refrigerator for up to one week.

Happy Valentine's Day!

This post was created for:
Mother's Kitchen: Spice Rack Challenge February: Citrus

22 comments:

  1. OMG these look divine! I love how creative you are!

    I've given you a Sisterhood of the Blogging World Award. You can find the details on my blog. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so adore your photographs. The chocolates sound good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are mouthwatering, and so is the meyer lemon/pistachio combination! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are gorgeous, just gorgeous. I love the white chocolate filling with the meyer lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison-Thanks for the award! You are so sweet.

    Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum yum :D. Valentine Day is the best excuse to make chocolates. I recently made some homemade chocolates using candy mold for Vday. No truffles tho but Ive made them before for Christmas time I love coating and adding your own nuts etc of decoration. Love your detailed photos :P, some camera's capture exactly what they may look like to human up close, excellent :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those look like they came from a gourmet chocolate shop. I'm so impressed. They sound so good. Thank you so much for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these look incredible. I am sure that they taste fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Meyer lemons! Your combination with dark chocolate and pistachio sounds wonderful and delicious! I'm gonna have to try it soon.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh WOW these look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I would both adore these! Lemon and pistachio?!!! Fantastic! Yours really look gorgeous, like a professional chocolatier made them. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job on these...lovely mix of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm, Meyer lemon and pistachio -- sounds like a great combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look wonderful!!! I love all things lemon so I can't wait to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i happened upon your blog from the linky on sweet as sugar cookies! looks delicious- i would love to try these!

    p.s. your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, these are lovely! i dont know that i have the skill set required to make them for myself but, wow, makes me wish i did! thanks for sharing! so so so cool, glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The only way those would last a week in my house is if I went away for the week... :^o

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look like incredible little mouthfuls!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Berendina- Thanks for the compliment on the photos. It's funny you say that as my good camera is out to be serviced right now. This is just a cheap $40 Canon I picked up to get me through. There is a lot to be said for sunlight.

    Lisa- Thanks. They were easier than they look.

    Meaghan- They are actually pretty easy, I bet you could do it. You should give it a try.

    Everyone, thank you for all the comments, especially about the photos. I have been feeling pretty bad about my camera, so it is good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. these look great. there for a second (before pressing the continue button) I thought there was going to be potato in them

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, just wow,how fabulous!!!!!!!!! MM wish I had some right now..thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails