In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lemon and Ginger Madeleines

Let  me start by saying that I have never eaten a "real" Madeleine.  I bought this Madeleine pan over a year ago thinking that I would love Madeleine's, but after making several recipes I came to the conclusion that they just weren't my thing. It is entirely possible I just never found the right recipe. So, if you are a Madeleine officianado, please don't write and tell me these aren't true Madeleine's. If you are a huge fan of lemon and ginger (a lot of ginger) I recommend giving it a try. Just think of them as muffins in a cute package.
This recipe is quite versatile. The first time I made it I went with the original version and made it in full size muffin wells. The recipe is from Orangette. Molly mentioned when she made the muffins they ended up with these strange humps that reminded her of Madeleines. I noticed this as well. So, why not make them in Madeleine pans? Since I only own one 12 well Madeleine pan I make one batch and put the rest in mini muffin tins. If you put one tablespoon of batter in each well the recipe will yield 36 either way. The thing I love about making them this way is they are great little grab and go breakfast snacks. I take a few to work and have them with my morning coffee. The ginger might even give you more of a jolt than the caffeine!
Fresh Ginger Madeleines
Adapted (only slightly) from Orangette

One large piece of unpeeled ginger root, washed well (dirt removed)and dried
¾ cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking soda

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a Madeleine pan.

Cut the unpeeled ginger root into large chunks. If you have a food processor, process the ginger until it is in tiny pieces; or finely mince by hand.  Put ¼ cup of the ginger and ¼ cup sugar in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar has melted and the mixture is hot. Watch closely: this takes only a couple of minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Add to the ginger mixture.

Put the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the butter for a second or two, then add the remaining ½ cup sugar, and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, and beat well. Add the buttermilk, and beat until blended. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, and beat just until smooth. Add the ginger-lemon mixture,  mix well. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each well of the prepared pan. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.

Yield: 36 Madeleines or mini muffins.

Contributor

10 comments:

  1. Frequent lurker, infrequent commenter. I thought you might be interested to know that I have tagged you for a “Stylish Blogger” award. Just spreading the recognition of your talents! You can check it out your "award" at your choice of blogging destinations:
    The Life: http://gigglesandraspberries.blogspot.com/
    The Cooking: http://theoccasionalchef.blogspot.com/
    The Running: http://reflectionsonarun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Lemon and ginger is ALWAYS a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I just found your blog via the #6 Sweets for Sunday link up. Madeleines are one of the cutest little biscuit/cakes. Your recipe is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything lemon and ginger. I am actually sitting here now with lemon and ginger with seltzer water. I need a reason to buy a Madeleine pan, good reason! They look so sweet and spongey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These madelines look perfect, perfectly delicious too. I'm sure the lemon and ginger is a wonderful combination. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made these myself, but I love how they are so pretty. These sound delish with ginger and lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tooele- Thank you so much for the award and your kind comments.

    Spicy Perspective- I agree, it's not just for cough drops!

    Brittany-I like making regular breads in Madeleine pans, it always ups the cute factor.

    Natasha- Sounds like a great beverage, especially soothing when the sun is shining, but truly it is 10 below outside.

    Amy- Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it.

    Leah- They are quite good.


    Thanks everyone for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, this is gorgeous! Would love to try this out one day!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful madeleines, Nicole! And very nice humps, I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohh, I've only ever had plain flavored madeleines so your idea for a lemon ginger one catches my attention. They must have been so good. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails