In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, April 15, 2011

Snickerdoodle Blondies


I find this time of year to be the most challenging for cooking. I'm tired of baked goods, sugar weary. I'm ready to share all things fresh and green, but bare ground is nowhere in sight. I honestly wasn't even sure I would have a second post this week. I was just feeling uninspired. Then out of nowhere, Mary posts Snickerdoodle Blondies. When I first discovered the world of food blogs, Mary was one of my favorites right from the beginning. I soon realized that everything she posts is delicious. Sugar is now suddenly back on the radar. I obsessed about these Blondies all day on Monday. The great thing is that all the ingredients are kitchen staples. I didn't need to make a stop at the grocery store on the way home from work, I already had everything I needed. They smelled so wonderful baking I could hardly wait until they came out of the oven. Just like all of Mary's other recipes, they were everything I hoped they would be. My favorite part is when they cool, the topping becomes nice an crunchy adding a little extra texture to your standard Blondie. It may look like an awful lot of  sugar when you sprinkle it on top, but the end result is great.

Snickerdoodle Blondies
adapted (barely) from Alpineberry

Snickerdoodle Blondies
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks / 1 cup) unsalted butter, softened to cool  room temp
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup (lightly packed) brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temp
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
2 tablespoons granulate white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan. Line with parchment paper and butter paper.
Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
Add the flour mixture and mix until the flour is just incorporated. The batter will be thick like cookie dough.
Scrape batter into your prepared pan and spread evenly. I used an offset spatula to make the batter even and smooth.
Make the topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar topping evenly over the top of the batter.It will look like a lot, but trust me it is perfect.
Bake at 350F for about 25 minutes or a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting (or as long as you can stand).

19 comments:

  1. WOW...not sure if i like the dessert or the beautiful photo better! Visiting from sweets for a saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! I think i will bake these tomorrow! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves snickerdoodles - these look better than the cookie! Thank you for sharing your recipe!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic! I definitely have to try these - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These do look better than the cookie, and I love snickerdoodles! Congrats on winning this week, on Sweet as Sugar Cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so making these. Thanks so much! And your photography is lickable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing I love more than chocolate is snickerdoodles. Love this recipe.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/14/chocolate-birds-nests/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are soooo pretty! I love snickerdoodles, what a great idea to turn them into a bar cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love snickerdoodles, I will have to make these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was SOOOOO ready to make these tonight, when I realized I had no eggs!!! ugh... tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to make these today and i was reading through the recipe and i noticed there was no baking time. How long did yours take to bake? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh i am totally adding these to my baking goals! i'll do a little repost if you don't mind! you have a great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goddess of Baking- Thank you so much for posting, the last 1/4 of the recipe totally disappeared. I'm pretty sure it was there when I first posted. I'm so glad you commented.

    Eating in Winnipeg- Go for it! I totally believe that recipes are for sharing.

    Ginny- I'm actually glad, it appears that the last part of the recipe went missing this weekend.

    Hayley-Thanks

    Heather- Happy to share.

    Maggie- I thought so too!

    Alli- Thanks for the invite.

    Allison-Thanks :)

    Mom's Recipe Box- Thanks. I was really surprised because that cake is so simple. Goes to show...

    Pastry Chef- Certainly. Thanks.

    Concetta- I think they are just as good, but easier than cookies.

    Lisa-Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering! These look divine!!!!! Bookmarked to make soon!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely delicious! I made these earlier this evening and they were a huge hit with my family. And they were easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait - how can they be snickerdoodles without cream of tartar? I always associated those two with each other...

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are amazing! I agree with you, Mary has so many delicious recipes on her blog it's difficult choosing one to bake.
    Your bars look really delicious, I'm bookmarking the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these! Followed the recipe and came out more than perfect! Made these for the fire station that my husband works at and ALLLLL of the guys loved them and begged me to make a double batch on his next shift!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails