In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mango Lassi

Every time I order a Mango Lassi in an Indian restaurant I end up regretting it. It is not because I don't like them. In fact I do like them very much, which is why I continue to order them even though I know I will need to be rolled out of the restaurant afterward. A Mango Lassi at an Indian restaurant is like ordering a chocolate shake with a burger and fries. It sounds so good at the time, but you spend the rest of the night in agony.
I was thrilled to find out how easy they are to make at home. Really, they aren't any different from a mango smoothie. So, I have decided that I will have them for breakfast or lunch from know on, rather than try and pack them into an already full dinner. I know that most recipes out there use mango puree or fresh mangoes, both are difficult to find in Fairbanks (good, fresh mangoes anyway). I decided to make mine with frozen mango chunks as I can find them easily in Fairbanks. The frozen mango also eliminates the need for ice cubes which I also don't care for in a smoothie. Feel free to use another sweetener in place of honey, or adjust the amount to your taste.
Mango Lassi

1 cup of frozen mango chunks
1 cup yogurt (whole milk, lowfat, non-fat, or even greek yogurt will work)
2 tsp honey
sprinkle of cardamom

Place mango, yogurt, and honey in a blender. Use the ice crush setting to break up the mango chunks, then switch to puree and process until smooth. Pour into a glass and sprinkle with cardamom. Makes one 12 oz. glass.

2 comments:

  1. Mango lassi is one of my favorite things ever! I can't help ordering them, either. But for me, it's more about the price than it is how filling they are. $4 for some mango and yogurt?! No thanks. I still order them because I can't help myself, but at least I can supplement those w/cheaper homemade ones! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mango and I love cardamom so this definitely rocks my boat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails