In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sausage Gravy

Memory is a strange thing. I guess we couldn't possibly store all the information we learn in a lifetime, or can we? I find that there are bits and pieces in there, things I have forgotten about. Then I see an old friend and the memories come pouring back. 
Sausage gravy is a very easy recipe to remember. You don't even need a recipe really, I don't measure anything. I just go by what looks right. I can remember learning how to make sausage gravy and being amazed by how simple the whole process is, but here's the thing, I don't remember who it was that taught me, or where I was. I can see the stove, and the cast iron skillet. I can see the sprinkling of the flour, and the pouring in of the milk. But who, who was doing all of this? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone in my family. I have spent the last few days wondering about this and I couldn't help but think of all the kitchens I have spent time in during my life. I've been so lucky to learn from so many people. I spent a lot of time earlier in my career doing field work and staying with people who were willing to take in a poorly paid intern, and in so many of those places I was greeted with such kindness and so many wonderful meals. Those moments have stuck with me my whole life, now if only I could remember them!
So, you didn't think I was going to leave you hanging with plain old biscuits the other day, did you? Sausage gravy is super easy to make, and really it is all about your preference as to whether you like your gravy thick or thin. The base recipe here is for a pretty thick gravy, just add a little more milk if you want it to be thinner. If you aren't crazy about spicy gravy feel free to leave out the red pepper flakes, or add more if you like it spicy hot!

Sausage Gravy

1 lb. of pork breakfast sausage
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Crumble and cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat until browned. Sprinkle flour over top of the sausage, stir in and thoroughly coat sausage. Gradually stir in milk, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add red pepper flakes. Cook gravy, stirring continuously until thick and bubbly. Season with pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.


1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to make this recipe for my dad! We always swoon over biscuits and gravy! Did you get the sage sausage at the grocery store? sausage gravy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails