In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sick Day Meyer Lemon Rx Sorbet

Whenever I feel like I have a cold coming on I always try and eat a lot of garlic and drink lots of orange juice. I always find the worst thing about getting sick is having a sore throat. What could be worse than not being able to eat or talk without it hurting? That is why I thought that the Influenza Rx Sorbet from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream was such a great idea. I didn't get around to making it last year, and when I finally did get sick I regretted not having some in my freezer. This year I decided to make my own, more lemony version. You're lucky I didn't decide to go with and orange juice and garlic version. I figured I would make it up ahead of time so it would be there in case I needed it. So far (knock on wood) I have been lucky and haven't gotten that nasty flu that has been going around. I think it might be one of the benefits of not going out in public too much these days.
I decided to go more with a honey lemon cough drop version of the recipe, with a good healthy dose of ginger. When I went to the store in search of cough drops I couldn't resist buying a box of Luden's. My Mom used to always buy the honey licorice ones when I was a kid. I don't remember them being very effective, but they sure did taste good. I guess the same can be said for this sorbet. I haven't yet had a chance to try it out for a sore throat, but I also haven't been able to keep my spoon out of it for the last few days either. I'll be surprised if there is actually any left if I do get sick. What do you do to soothe a cold and/or sore throat? Any good home remedies I should know about?
Amazon.com
Sick Day Meyer Lemon Rx Sorbet
adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

2 cups water
2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey ( I used Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey)

Combine water, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, honey, and ginger in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least two hours. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions. Add whiskey near the end of the churning process. Keep in mind if you don't use at least a little whiskey (2 tsp.) to keep the mixture soft, it will freeze solid when you put it back in the freezer, you will need to let it thaw a bit before serving. On the other hand, if you add too much alcohol, the sorbet will not freeze up at all. Once finished churning, pack sorbet into an airtight container and freeze until the sorbet is firm, about 4 hours. Sorbet will keep up to 2 months in the freezer.


16 comments:

  1. Perfect timing - today is a sick day for me. This looks really good right now! I used to love the Luden's honey lemon cough drops that came in a box, but I can't find them at any of the stores where I live now. But this sorbet looks much more enjoyable than cough drops anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are feeling better Jeanne. I didn't even know they still made Luden's, but I couldn't resist when I spotted them at the grocery. They only had cherry though.

      Delete
  2. I am from the land of Jeni's so it's easier to go buy a pint than make it but I love the idea of eating the cure to a cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow Jeni's on FB and I sure wish we could get it here. I have made quite a few recipes from her cookbook though and they all turn out wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Nicole - you had me at bourbon.

    Seriously though - going to make some this weekend with a few of Karen's jewels. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! Where'd you find those pretty cups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are St. Benoit yogurt cups. I picked them up in San Francisco, I ate one yogurt every day and then packed the jars up in my suitcase and brought them home. Their yogurt is amazing too!

      Delete
    2. So *that's* what yogurt comes inside of in San Francisco... here in North Carolina we're still stuck on those darn plastic cups. What a pity!

      Delete
  5. This looks like an amazing home remedy. We always revert to Hot Toddy's, but what a good idea to create a sorbet with the same flavors. Love your Instagram photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I like hot drinks for sinus and head colds, but when I have a sore throat I always want something cold. I love your Instagram photos too!

      Delete
  6. Lovely...i love the cups and the sorbet !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so yummy, and your name is much better than Jeni's Influenza Rx Sorbet (it sounds like something that will make you get sick, not help you feel better!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree on the name. I loved the idea, but the name had to go!

      Delete
  8. This looks great! I can't have dairy but I love frozen treats, so this one might turn out to be a staple dessert in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails