In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cabbage, Fennel, and Citrus Salad

I always try to make a list before going to the grocery store to avoid impulse purchases. Yet, sometimes I see something like blood oranges, which I don't find often, and my willpower fades. Suddenly, there are six of them coming home with me, even though I have no idea what I am going to do with them. When I first picked them up I had thought that I might make something sweet like panna cotta. I never guessed that they would all end up in a salad of one form or another. The truth is, I went back and bought more. I've totally fallen in love with citrus salads this winter. This one is no exception, not to mention it also comes from an amazing cookbook. I'll be honest, I bought this one for the photos, but it has turned out to be so much more. I already have several more recipes tagged to try. If this salad is any indication of what is to come, I'm in for some good eating. What have you been doing with your citrus this winter? I'd love to hear about it in the comments section.
Amazon.com
Cabbage, Fennel, and Citrus Salad
adapted from What Katie Ate by Katie Quinn Davies

For the dressing
Small handful tarragon leaves, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/3 cup greek yogurt
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the Salad
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 blood orange, supremed and chopped into large chunks
1 cara cara orange, supremed and chopped into large chunks
1 small bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
1⁄4 red cabbage, cored, very finely sliced
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and chill in the fridge until needed.
In a large bowl add the pecans, oranges, fennel, and cabbage. Toss to combine. Divide amongst serving plates. This will make a large dinner salad for one, or two smaller side salads.
Sprinkle each salad with the goat’s cheese, then drizzle with the yoghurt dressing, season with salt and pepper and serve.


2 comments:

  1. I love fennel with citrus---and the dressing is so unusual, I never would have thought of tarragon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous salad! Loe the idea of all these flavors together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails