In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sicilian Citrus Salad

Our first winter here we asked our neighbors about the darkness and how bad it was. They told us we just needed to make it until Valentine's Day and then everything was fine. I have to say that is about accurate. It's not until it is all over that I realize how bad it has been. I wake up from my holiday carb-induced haze and realize that I want some fruit and vegetables. Although warm soups and stews are still on the menu, they get to alternate with fresh salads once again. Every year I get better about not forcing the salad issue. I've been working harder to find non-leafy salads for the winter as greens are always a bit glum. Although we do have a new place to buy micro-greens in the winter. I want to check it out one of these days. Have any of you  been to Johnson's Family Farm yet? I hear they have basil leaves as big as your head! I'll check it out later today and report back.
Although I did serve this salad on a bed of greens, it isn't necessary if you don't have access to any that are fresh. You can also make this salad fancy by stacking the ingredients like I did in the photos. A good choice for a special Valentine's dinner. If it is just you for lunch, then just toss it all in a bowl. It comes together quite quickly and makes a tasty lunch. It's even better if it has had some time to sit, so throw it together in the morning and make it a special work day lunch.


Sicilian Citrus Salad
adapted from Smitten Kitchen, The Kitchn, and Small Kitchen Chronicles

2 cups salad greens
2 blood oranges
1 Cara Cara, or Naval orange
1/2 small red onion
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 heaping tablespoon goat cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons pistachios, coarsely chopped
handful of mint leaves, cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
a few whole mint leaves for garnish

This salad makes two small side salads or one individual lunch size salad. Arrange salad greens on the bottom of the plate. Cut the ends off of all the oranges, remove the skin and all of the pith. Slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Slice onion into thin rounds. Arrange onion and oranges on top of salad greens making sure that the onions and oranges are overlapping.
Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle a small amount over the onions and oranges, set the rest aside. Sprinkle salad with goat cheese, pistachios, and mint leaves. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Add additional dressing, and fresh ground pepper to taste.


4 comments:

  1. Your photo makes the salad pop off my screen. All I need is a knife and fork. This looks and sounds so delicious.

    My mother used to make an orange salad with red onions and vinegar. She told us her grandmother made it all the time and my mom continued to make it after she married my dad.

    This brings back memories, thanks for sharing.
    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an incredible photo, but even better, the recipe provides simply fresh ingredients. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for adapting my recipe -- glad to hear it was an inspiration -- yours looks lovely. Could you please credit me properly by replacing "here" (the word that links to my post) in your text with "Small Kitchen Chronicles"?

    Please let me know and thank you =)

    Christina
    Small Kitchen Chronicles
    smallkitchenchronicles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see I've found a fellow citrus lover---glad to have discovered your blog! This salad looks absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails