In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, February 25, 2013

Kishu Mandarin Greek Yogurt Souffle

How is it that dogs know things? You know, they always know when it is dinner time, and walk time. More than that, our dog Brody always knows to ask to go outside just minutes before someone is about to come up our driveway. He especially knows when the Fed Ex lady is coming with her peanut butter and jelly dog treats. The last four times she has come to our house, he has been there at the top of the stairs waiting for her. I'm sure she thinks I let him out when she shows up, but that is the last thing I want to do. Last week I had to go chasing him outside in my slippers at 20 below. By the time I got outside they were both at the back of the truck, Brody with his front paws on the back of the truck looking in to see what she might be bringing him. In the time it took me to get to the truck I watched her feed him no less than 5 of those PB&J treats. I'm sure he gave her the "poor abused dog" face. He's good at that!
Anyway, to Brody's disappointment it was my Kishu Mandarins she was delivering, not a squishy new dog bed or a bulk shipment of PB&J dog treats.  I however, had been anxiously awaiting my "treats" for this year. I order a box of Kishu Mandarins every year. Most of them get eaten out of hand, but I always make one or two things with them as well.
When the Kishus arrived this year I was just about to make this yogurt souffle. The plan was to make a fruit on the bottom, breakfast berry version. I've always thought these little Weck jars looked like European yogurt jars. If you make these in ramekins or a souffle dish, they will rise up more like a traditional souffle and the texture will be a bit lighter. For this version I actually liked it a little more dense.  I have gone back and forth as to whether this recipe is a breakfast or a dessert. I seem to have this problem a lot. This version with mandarins and Grand Marnier is definitely more dessert. I have made a plain version with berry syrup for breakfast and it was good as well. Either way, it's a protein packed, low calorie, sweet treat.

Kishu Mandarin Greek Yogurt Souffle
adapted from Jules Food

butter and sugar for dishes
10 Kishu Mandarins (5 regular mandarins), peeled and separated into segments
2 1/2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
2 1/2 teaspoons honey
6 oz. (3/4 cup) Greek Yogurt
2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
3 tablespoons, sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and sugar five 6 oz containers. I used Weck canning jars, but ramekins or souffle dishes would work great as well.  Equally divide the mandarins, grand marnier, and honey between the jars. To make things easier I just guessed and drizzled the honey and Grand Marnier over the mandarins. Set jars on a baking sheet.
In a large mixing bowl, preferably one with a spout, whisk together yogurt, egg yolks, flour, salt, and vanilla. Set aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly pour in sugar and whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form.
Carefully fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the yogurt at a time until each addition is incorporated. Try not to break down the egg whites to allow your souffle to rise higher. Divide the batter evenly between the jars. Bake for about 22 minutes, do not open the door until you are ready to remove them from the oven. Serve immediately.

8 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous souffle! I definitely have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats are the same way... for that matter, so are kids. Eat something within a ten mile radius of any of them and they come running. :-P

    That souffle looks amazing. It's been a while since I made a souffle... time to change the status quo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mandarins look amazing, and I'm pretty sure I'd eat this souffle for breakfast AND dessert! I didn't know you could bake right in those jars, I have a little collection going, I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photography is so gorgeous... I want a bite right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These souffles are so beautiful. Can you really bake them in those jars? Would mason jars work? That would be adorable for breakfast, I think. But I could honestly eat these any time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea with the jars, I have a few and the lids have broken so they are just sitting on a shelf. I will try this for our next dinner party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails