In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Excellent Apple Pie- Miniaturized

When I told David I was going to make apple pie, he said he wanted his own pie. So, to answer his request, I made him nine of his own apple pies. Ok, I ate a couple of them. This apple pie comes from one of my favorite cookbooks that I don't actually own. I borrowed Northwest Essentials Cooking from the Port Townsend, Washington library. They had a really great cookbook section and I used to borrow cookbooks all the time. Before moving to Fairbanks, I spent an entire afternoon in the Port Townsend library copying all my favorite recipes. I love this book because along with great recipes it has some great stories as well. The author gives great explanations of what ingredients to use and why. Unfortunately, I couldn't find Cameo apples which are the variety I used in Washington and one of the varieties he recommends for this recipe. Sadly, this cookbook is  out of print. One of these days I will break down and order a used copy from Amazon.

Excellent Apple Pie
adapted from Greg Atkinson's Northwest Essentials Cooking

6 or 7 Newton Pippin, Golden Delicious, or Cameo Apples 
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

To prepare the filling, peel the apples, cut the sides away from the cores, and slice the fruit into very thin slices (for the miniature version, I cut the slices into smaller pieces). Toss the apples with the lemon juice in a mixing bowl, then stir n the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the pie crust. For miniature pies cut dough with a 3 inch round cookie cutter. Place one tablespoon of filling on one round.
Cover with a second round and crimp the edges. Place pies on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is well browned and pies are bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails