In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Meyer Lemons

I am a huge fan of Meyer Lemons. Every year I look forward to finding them in the grocery store. I pay the ridiculous price of $10 for a bag of six and usually find two of them rotten. David and I jokingly call the one's we buy here Fred Meyer lemons since that is where we end up purchasing them. In the last couple of weeks I have made a couple of great discoveries for fresh, organic produce. I will highlight a really exciting find in this Thursday’s post, but the first is local harvest. This site highlights places to purchase local produce, but they also have organic growers that ship at peak season. This is how I found The Lemon Ladies. They are producing Organic Meyer Lemons and apparently ship just about anywhere in the United States. They did say that this was the first time they shipped their lemons to Alaska. What I didn’t realize is that I ordered them on a government holiday week, which means our mail always gets backlogged. I was afraid that my poor lemons were going to be frozen solid by the time they arrived. The lemon ladies assured me that I could still turn them into marmalade if they did in fact freeze. When they didn’t arrive at work (I have everything shipped to my office) last Friday I thought for sure my lemon gamble would be a complete loss. I pictured my frozen lemons thawing and then refreezing as they took the ride with the mailman through Fairbanks on Saturday. Then Monday, still no lemons! Now, let me just say that this is in no part the fault of the lemon ladies. Our postal service can be challenging. Finally, yesterday morning the mailman backs up to the front door (this means there is a package in the back of the truck). Yes, the lemons arrived and I cautiously opened the box of 30 perfect lemons (7 lbs.). In addition, there was lovely little jar of Meyer Lemon Marmalade. I have been collecting recipes and information about Meyer Lemons for the last two weeks. Expect a lot of lemon posts this weekend…




2 comments:

  1. Yea for Meyer Lemons! We used to sell house- preserved meyers at the store I worked at in Mpls. They're really good in slow roasted meat dishes and a little bit accented in couscous. The lemon bars sound really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those now! I just need to decide exactly how to show off it's wonderfulness. Do you think if I sleep with it by my pillow that's weird? It just smells so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails