In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Raspberry Scones


Have I mentioned that I am really terrible about reading recipes all the way through? This is why I cook instead of bake, most of the time.
Lately I had been thinking about the scones I used to get at the Black Cat Coffeehouse in Ashland, Wisconsin. I was a student at Northland College and although it was never purposeful, conveniently all but one of my apartments were within a block of the Black Cat. This was the reason I had to work two jobs to get me through college, my $5.00 a day scone and cappuccino habit. The scones that Honore, the owner made were amazing. I have never found anything that compares since.
I somewhat regularly make Meyer Lemon scones with dried blueberries. These are very good scones. David once described them as the best scones he ever had (maybe he was just being nice). I figure I will never get any closer to finding that Black Cat scone if I don't branch out and try some new recipes. I had been looking at these ones that were posted on the Smitten Kitchen site for a while and decided to give them a shot. Now, had I actually read the directions on the original recipe or the post on the Smitten Kitchen website it may have completely changed the outcome of these scones, but alas I did not and still got some pretty tasty scones out of the deal. My co-workers scarfed them down, although they are about as picky about food as the four legged cohorts in the office (we are dog friendly). Sorry guys! Thanks for eating my scones anyway.
So, where did I go wrong you ask? I decided to make the fruit version of this scone with raspberries. I did not realize until I actually started this post that the last line of the recipe explains to reduce the amount of buttermilk if using fruit rather than the caraway and raisins. I was thinking that the batter was incredibly sticky! Also, I cut them in wedges just like my favorite scones of all time. They were huge, monster scones because of this. They really do need to be cut into small triangles and spaced far apart on the cookie sheet as mine ran together. In the end I really do think these have the potential with a few tweeks to be amazing scones. I added half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the recipe and it really added to the flavor. In the future if I used a tart fruit such as raspberries I would add just a little more sugar as well.

SCONES
2 ¾ c. pastry flour (all-purpose is fine)
¼ c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
6 oz. butter, ½ inch cubes
**1 c. golden raisins
**1 T. caraway seeds
1 c. buttermilk
*Preheat oven to 375
*Place cubed butter in the freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, measure other ingredients (except buttermilk) & place in the bowl of a food processor
*Add butter to processor bowl & mix until the butter and flour are the texture of coarse cornmeal. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add buttermilk and mix on lowest speed until the dough just comes together.
*Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead very gently a couple of times. Roll dough out to approximately 1 inch. cut squares & then again on the diagonal to create triangles. Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
**Option-substitute caraway & raisins with 1 c. fresh fruit, reduce buttermilk to 3/4 cup.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I've been to the Black Cat! My best friend spent a summer term at Northland, and I drove up for a visit one weekend. I can't remember exactly what we had to eat, but I'm sure it was some sort of buttery pastry and a coffee. So funny....I love your cookbook buying restriction idea. Buying a new cookbook is the most exciting thing in the world for me, but the novelty seems to wear off so quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails