In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, March 22, 2010

Black Bottom Cupcakes and a Curse

I have been thinking about this post for a while...how do I want to tell this story? So, let me just come out and say it...I have a wedding curse! It has nothing to do with the fact that I am still single. That is a whole other curse altogether. My wedding curse comes from standing in other people's weddings. You see, every wedding I have ever stood in has led me to never see the happy couple again! Actually, one of the weddings all did was read, and yes I have not seen the bride again. It doesn't help that in my adult life I have lived in more places than I can count and most of the weddings I actually traveled to attend. Now that I live in the frozen Arctic Tundra I really wouldn't expect anyone to come for a visit. This is compounded by the fact that I am really bad about calling and keeping up with correspondence. Ever leave a comment on my blog? I didn't write back did I? Don't worry it's not you it's me!
What does this have to do with cupcakes you ask? Don't worry, I'm getting there.
My dear friend Wendi was married seven years ago. You guessed it, I stood in her wedding and have not seen her since. Wendi and I have been friends since high school. Wendi was the kind of friend that we were so much alike I would have to call her before we went out to find out what she was wearing. If I didn't we would show up at a party wearing the same or similar outfit 9 times out of 10. Even with very little communication over the last 7 years, I would probably say she knows me better than anyone. I know if were to get together, we would just pick up right where we left off as though no time had passed at all.
With all this new social media out there. Wendi and I have been communicating a little more often. Turns out she has even been reading my blog. I get to see pictures of her adorable children and all their antics. We also get to talk recipes...
A few weeks ago Wendi recommended I try these cupcakes. I must admit that I had already had my eye on them, but I knew when Wendi recommended that I would love them. I brought them to an office party for one of my co-workers that was leaving. They were a hit!
Black-Bottom Cupcakes
The Great Book of Chocolate, David Lebovitz
Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, regular or reduced fat, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup unflavored vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling: Beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the chopped chocolate pieces. Set aside.

For the Cupcakes:
 Adjust the rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 12-cup muffin tin, or line the tin with paper muffin cups. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients, stirring until just smooth. Do not overmix. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Spoon a few tablespoons of the filling into the center of each cupcake, dividing the filling evenly.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden brown and the cupcakes feel springy when gently pressed. Let cool. I like them refrigerated. 

4 comments:

  1. You know what? All you need is one really good friend. Make sure you don't lose this one! She sounds like THE keeper for sure.

    Great looking cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and thanks! for friending me on FBF. Your site sounds eerily like mine! Happy Spring; hope it warms up soon where you are. See you on FBF...

    [K]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi- I agree. I'm hoping to break the curse.

    Kim- You are right, we are similar you just have much warmer weather! I should be able to plant the garden by Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great, David Lebovitz recipes are usually keepers and I agree with Mimi, Wendi sounds like one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails