In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Coconut Muffins with Streusel Topping


Wow, the weeks are just flying by. It is the first day of spring! Winter feels like a memory........

Oh sorry, I had to get off the floor from laughing so hard!!
I have really been craving coconut lately. I have been looking at making some coconut cupcakes. Last Saturday morning I really wanted those coconut cupcakes for breakfast. Of course you can't have cupcakes for breakfast, but you can have muffins!! I am a master of the art of dessert for breakfast. I found a lot of recipes for banana muffins topped with toasted coconut. I wanted the Coconut to take center stage. So, when you can't find the recipe you want just make one up...
INGREDIENTS
For Muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut flakes
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ripe banana, sliced
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon coconut flavored rum, or coconut extract
1 cup Coconut Milk

For Coconut Streusel Topping:
In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup coconut flakes, 1/4 cup brown sugar,1 teaspoon cinnamon, and1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 12 cup muffin pan. (You may use paper muffin cups.) In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Add 1/2 cup coconut. Mix together. Set aside.
In a bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add banana, vanilla extract, and coconut rum. Beat in well. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture. Beat until just smooth. Do not over mix. Add the remaining flour mixture alternately with the Coconut Milk. Beat until just incorporated. Do not overbeat or your muffins will be tough. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
Generously sprinkle with Coconut Streusel, at least one teaspoon per muffin. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

These muffins are great when they are a little warm and fresh out of the oven. So, eat them right away!

4 comments:

  1. You had me laughing right along with you. I'm in Florida. today was the first day in a long time I was able to thaw out. What a winter it's been!
    Your recipe looks great! Just stopping over to visit from the Food Blog Forum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha,
    I lived in Florida one winter, so I hear you. I thought it was going to warm! Silly me. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love coconut and these look delicious!! I don't live in Florida so I am REALLY glad Spring is finally here. It's warm, sunny and the windows are open today. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nancy! I'm so jealous!! We are getting there...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails