In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Curried Chicken Salad

I think everyone has that one meal each day that they don't really enjoy. A lot of people don't enjoy breakfast, whether it is the getting up early or the choices breakfast lays out. Well, I love breakfast, but I really struggle to come up with good idea for my work day lunches. We rarely have leftovers, and I am not a big fan of sandwiches (or leftovers for that matter). In the winter I always want something warm. My biggest downfall is that I work in the Student Union at the University, so 50 paces from my office is a food court. Lunch seems to be the thing I always put off until the last minute and then just never get around to doing. Half the time, I honestly just don't eat at all. I'll spend my lunch hour walking the puppy or I just work right through it. None of these options are healthy, maybe with the exception of the walk. I feel like lunch is just a really inconvenient time of day to be eating. There are things to do...
So, I have decided to make more effort to come up with at least one new work day lunch each week. This one comes from So Easy, I like this cookbook because it has a whole section on traveling lunches. I have not actually purchased it yet, so this is my adaptation from what I remember from browsing in the bookstore.


Curried Chicken Salad
adapted from So Easy by Ellie Krieger
Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder to taste (I prefer hot curry powder, so I only used 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped red or green onion
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted lightly

Directions
Place chicken breasts in a saucepan and add water to pan halfway up the chicken breasts. Simmer over medium to medium low heat for about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and check it is done, then cool completely in the refrigerator. Cut chicken into 1/4 inch cubes.

In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, and curry powder. Add in the chicken, onion, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails