In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lingonberry Vinaigrette

 A while back Bon Appetit did an article on New Austrian Cuisine. I made the entire dinner including goulash, spaetzle, and a red cabbage salad. This meal had a lot of flavors going on. Each individual component was good, but all together the competition happening on my tongue was just too much. When I asked David how he like the meal he said, "These flavors are just not something I'm used to, but I like the radioactive red color of the dressing on the cabbage." Somehow, I knew exactly what he meant. That dressing was really good, too much for the meal that night, but I knew if I worked with some of the ratios I could create a really good every day salad dressing. That is a really good thing considering I still have over 6 quarts of lingonberries in my freezer from last fall.


Lingonberry Vinaigrette

Ingredients
3 tablespoons lingonberry preserves,
or 1/4 cup lingonberries(fresh or frozen) and 1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Preparation
In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and blend with an immersion blender, or use a regular blender. Serve over a bed of salad greens, ours was great topped with diced granny smith apple, chopped toasted walnuts, and gorgonzola.

*For those living in Alaska Lingonberries are called Low-Bush Cranberries.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Do you think a regular cranberry would substitute? Or another sweeter berry, because I don't know that I have access to Lingonberry Preserves. (I may have seen some at Trader Joe's). Thanks for adding it to the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could substitute any type of preserves that isn't too seedy. I have made this with blueberry preserves as well. Regular cranberries texture might not work so well, but if you had cranberry preserves I'm sure that would.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails