In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Home Grown Market

Two weeks ago in my post surgery state I learned that a new local food market opened up in Fairbanks. I knew it would be one of the first items on my agenda once I got back on my feet.That was the first thing I did, as soon as I left my follow up appointment I went straight to the Home Grown Market. Their building is tucked behind the car wash and a little strip mall on Geraghty Avenue, so they can be a little hard to find if you don't know exactly where you are going. Believe me they are worth looking for. If you are living in Fairbanks, you need to check this place out. Everyone I have talked to has nothing but good things to say. I have wished for this since we moved to Fairbanks. They carry a huge variety of locally grown meat and make their own sausage.

They also carry Matanuska Dairy products and Alaska Grown potatoes and carrots. I would imagine their produce selection will increase in the summer. It looks like they have a lot of exciting things in the works. I saw empty tubs with a sign that said they would be soon filled with grain you could grind yourself. If you are on Facebook I recommend becoming a Fan as they have been posting some great specials on their page.


What about the prices? When I was asking most people if their prices were good I got a common response, I don't know, I didn't really look and I think that says a lot. Honestly, I was stunned when they rung up my two strip steaks, cheese, ice cream, smoked salmon, and gallon of milk.

I was expecting more like $50 and probably wouldn't have flinched if it were $60 for all this local goodness. So, in my opinion it is a steal! I'll be going back tonight for some of that sausage and I am hoping they will have some of the Birch Ice Cream everyone has been raving about!!
Home Grown Market is open Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails