In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Persimmon Cake with Spicy Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting


It was so nice to spend the day puttering around my kitchen after a crazy week of frozen pizza and other not so great menu selections. The last two weeks I have had persimmons in my CSA and I have been trying to figure out what to do with them. I was at a party Friday night and many people there have the same CSA and we all agreed that the persimmons are very pretty, but nobody had used them yet. I searched the internet for a while and was inspired by this recipe for Persimmon Spice Cake. I wasn't really up for converting everything from grams to cups, so I decided to go out on a limb and make it up. I usually don't do this with baking, but now I am thinking I should do it more often. Once the cake was complete I decided it needed some frosting. This is very similar to carrot cake with a little zip. It is even better the next day. 

Persimmon Cake with Spicy Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Cake Ingredients:
4 to 6 very ripe, soft persimmons, yeilding 1 1/4 cup pureed pulp
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cups unsifted flour
1 tsp cinnamon (Vietnamese if you want an extra kick)
1/2 tsp each fresh nutmeg and ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp Grand Marnier

Frosting Ingredients:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. Vietnamese Cinnamon (regular cinnamon will work, but not be as spicy)
1 tsp. Grand Marnier

Cake Directions:
Puree persimmons until smooth and strain through a mesh sieve. Stir in baking soda. Mix well. This will cause the persimmons to set to a hard gelatinous consistency. This is normal and kind of cool.
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and persimmon mixture. Combine flour and spices and add to mixture. Blend well, stir in nuts and Grand Marnier. Spoon into a 9 inch greased cake pan. Bake at 350 for about 40 or more until knife comes out clean.

Let cool completely before frosting. 
Frosting Directions:
Beat cream cheese, and powdered sugar until well blended. Add Grand Marnier, and Cinnamon and blend until smooth and color is even throughout. 

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails