In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tofu Tikka Masala

I love making Indian food on the weekend when I can go all out and make samosas, naan, chutneys, and raitas. I like to let the chicken and tofu marinade for hours and then cook it in the oven. The best part about Indian food is adding the spices to the pan one at a time letting the scent build through the kitchen. Then there are other nights when I just want Indian food and I want it quick. This is the recipe for those nights. If I stay on top of the whole process I can make tofu tikka masala with homemade naan in less than an hour. David  has to make the rice though, because I always forget about it. This recipe is very loosely adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's Simple Indian Cookery. 

Tandoori Tofu
1 package extra firm tofu cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 cup plain yogurt
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
1-2 hot green chillies, sliced
2 teaspoons garam masala

Preheat oven to 550 degrees. Place tofu in a flat bottom casserole dish or small glass baking dish. Puree all remaining ingredients in a food processor. I like to use a mini 3 cup food processor for this job. Pour puree over tofu and let sit until oven it up to temperature. 
(I like to start my naan while waiting for the oven to heat) Place tofu in oven until top is brown approximately 15 minutes. Immediately start the Tikka Masala. 

Tofu Tikka Masala
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vietnamese cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely grated ginger root
2 teaspoons garlic, crushed to a pulp
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne or more depending on how hot you like it
1 tablespoon bright red paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon salt
1  15 oz. can of tomato sauce

Put the oil in a large, wide and deep pan and set it over medium heat. When very hot add cinnamon and cardamom. Stir once then add the onions and stir until they begin to turn brown on the edges. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring for one minute. Add remaining spices one at a time stirring continuously. Add tomato sauce and stir for one more minute. Add the Tandoori Tofu directly from oven into the mixture, stir to mix, turn the heat to low and cover. You can serve immediately or keep warm while finishing naan or other side items. 

1 comment:

  1. This look fantastic. I've always wanted to try making my own Indian food, but after an unsuccessful curry last year that tasted, and I quote "like a spicy tomato sauce," followed by a trip to India where the food was too amazing for words, I've always felt too daunted to try again.

    Until now! I'm definitely going to give this a go, it's perfect for that pack of tofu I've stashed in the freezer.Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails