In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Meyer Lemon Jelly

The other night I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my Meyer Lemons before they went bad. I knew I wanted to make lemon bars which I did in this post, but I also wanted to make Marmalade or something I could preserve for a while when I came across this recipe for Meyer Lemon Jelly on Diane's World blog. The marmalade recipe was really time consuming, but the jelly sounded really easy. I on the other hand was very uneasy. This fall I didn't have the greatest luck making jelly. Most of the jelly didn't set up and the thought of any more "syrup" filling my cupboards made me a bit quesy. I decided it was time to conquer my fears...
This is the first time I have used liquid pectin and I have been converted. It worked beautifully and the jelly started to set right away. I was so excited. Did I mention that I also tackled this challenge on election night? Well, I take this as a good sign that things really are going to change. I am now convinced that next fall when our abundance of blueberries return to Alaska I will be prepared to make jelly like a pro! 

Meyer Lemon Jelly
from Diane's World
4 cups filtered lemon juice, preferably Meyer lemons, or juice with an electric juicer that removes most of the pulp and seeds
7 cups sugar
2 (3 oz) pouches liquid pectin
In an 8-qt stainless steel pan, over medium high heat, heat the juice until warm. Add the sugar and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved.  Increase the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Stir in the entire contents of both pectin pouches. Return the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
Quickly skim off any foam and immediately ladle the hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe there jar rims and threads and apply screw rings. Process half-pint jars in a 200 degreeF water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.
From Blue Ribbon Preserves cookbook.
Yield: 7 to 8 half-pint jars

1 comment:

  1. This looks fantastic. I think I'll attempt the marmalade since I don't have liquid pectin and a trip anywhere to find it would be an hour or more.

    I just bought a box of lemons from the same place and I can't wait to try all kinds of delicious ways to eat them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails